Creating a Production Environment RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the last stages of launching a SP2010 project that will be a public facing website. I've got my Staging environment all fleshed out and done with content and everything. Development environment is a mirror copy of Staging at this point (used backup and restore). Now I need to create my Production environment so I can configure content deployment from Staging to Production.

We're pretty small, so our topology looks like this: Development isolated on a server of its own with SQL installed; Staging on a server of its own with SQL installed; Production on a server of its own, but without SQL installed and pointing to the Staging server where its DB will be stored. I was told by a developer working with us some time back that this was the way to go for us considering our resources. I'm a bit confused on how this works though.

I ran through the install and when I get to the DB portion it wants to share the config DB that Staging is using. This seemed wrong for what I wanted to accomplish, but I rolled through it to see what would happen. So far, that definitely seems to not be what I want. It's just loading content from Staging and there isn't a separate Central Admin for Production. It's just using the same one as Staging even though I thought I told it not to (advanced settings), so I'm rolling back my snapshots to start over.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: our end-users login to the Staging environment and author content there. Once approved through a custom workflow, a content deployment job kicks off every night to move published content over to the Production environment. Pretty standard. How do I set up this Production environment?

I've done some searching, but oddly can't find a guide for this specific scenario. Any help or links?

• Edited by J.Torre Monday, July 9, 2012 8:01 PM
    Monday, July 9, 2012 7:59 PM

Answers

• There's a couple of ways you could set up the Production environment:

1. The best method would be to install an additional named instance of SQL on that staging server.  You would then create an alias on the production SharePoint server to point to it and include the instance name.  This will help you ensure separation between production and staging databases and, in my opinion, makes it a bit easier to administer.

2. The second option would be to create a new configuration database and prefix it with prod_ or something like that.  That will ensure you have a completely separate configuration database but you would want to follow that same naming convention for every content database and service application database to ensure you don't accidentally make a change to the wrong database.

I would personally go with the first option since it will be easier to administer and there will be less chance of mistakes.

-Chopps

• Proposed as answer by Fadi Abdulwahab Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by J.Torre Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:54 AM

All replies

• There's a couple of ways you could set up the Production environment:

1. The best method would be to install an additional named instance of SQL on that staging server.  You would then create an alias on the production SharePoint server to point to it and include the instance name.  This will help you ensure separation between production and staging databases and, in my opinion, makes it a bit easier to administer.

2. The second option would be to create a new configuration database and prefix it with prod_ or something like that.  That will ensure you have a completely separate configuration database but you would want to follow that same naming convention for every content database and service application database to ensure you don't accidentally make a change to the wrong database.

I would personally go with the first option since it will be easier to administer and there will be less chance of mistakes.

-Chopps

• Proposed as answer by Fadi Abdulwahab Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by J.Torre Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:54 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions Chopps. I'll give that first option a shot.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:58 PM
  • I just wanted to follow this up with a snag that I hit in case it might help anyone else.

Creating the alias is pretty easy if you just find a guide online. The area where I ran into trouble was while rolling through the SharePoint install. The DBA created the instance for me, but I had to go in and give the SP_Admin account I was using to do the install access to that instance. Otherwise, the install will fail when you try to point it to the instance using the alias you created and the error message it gives you isn't much help (big surprise).

In the end though, this solution worked great. Thanks again.

• Edited by J.Torre Friday, July 13, 2012 2:12 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 2:09 PM