none
Updating Category field in Outlook 2016 using VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Previously, I had used a MAPI Outlook account and was able to create multiple categories associated with contacts in Outlook and have them synchronized across several clients. That went away when I was upgraded to ESA, which does not support category synchronization. I had been waiting for the upgrade of my account to Microsoft Exchange as it had been posted that "Categories" would now be synchronized. I had kept one of my Outlook clients as a MAPI protocol with my categories intact but not synchronized. When I was updated to Microsoft Exchange the categories were not included during this upgrade. I now want to use Outlook VBA to transfer these categories from a PST export of a former backup when my client account was still MAPI and the categories were specified for each contact.  I have been able to see the various Microsoft Exchange accounts (I have six different MS Exchange accounts in this client) using VBA and have been able to see individual contact items within the default account.  I have opened the PST file in this client and can see the contacts with the category information.  My problem now is how to select a specific account (not the default account) and to then select the category information from the Outlook data file and put this information into the selected account. I have been unable to find any code examples to solve this problem.  I'm not a professional programmer and know just enough to do some trial and error.  Normally, I get a lot of help with the Macro recorders in the other Office applications, but this capability is missing in Outlook.

Thanks in advance,

J. Austin

John A

Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

>> That went away when I was upgraded to ESA, which does not support category synchronization. I had been waiting for the upgrade of my account to Microsoft Exchange as it had been posted that "Categories" would now be synchronized

What is ESA? Is it Exchange ActiveSync? Do you want to back up the Category and restore it? If so, I think there is no need to achieve this by yourself and I suggest you refer the link below:

# Backup and restore Categories

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/611

Best Regards,

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
    Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;
    Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.
    There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by John Rummel Monday, November 14, 2016 3:41 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

>> That went away when I was upgraded to ESA, which does not support category synchronization. I had been waiting for the upgrade of my account to Microsoft Exchange as it had been posted that "Categories" would now be synchronized

What is ESA? Is it Exchange ActiveSync? Do you want to back up the Category and restore it? If so, I think there is no need to achieve this by yourself and I suggest you refer the link below:

# Backup and restore Categories

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/611

Best Regards,

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
    Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;
    Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.
    There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by John Rummel Monday, November 14, 2016 3:41 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Edward,

Sorry, I mis-typed EAS.  My initial testing with Categories on Microsoft Exchange was flawed and now have confirmed it is synchronizing across my 6 Outlook clients and 6 Outlook accounts.  My problem is that in the upgrade from MAPI and EAS the actual categories that I had assigned to contacts did not come forward.  All blanks.  So, I'm trying to write a VBA program to transfer these categorizations from a backup to my active account, contact by contact.  As detailed in the link you provided, categories are backed up into psts and is how I'm able to try and recover this information.  I'm not sure how Master Category Lists play into this as it is not mentioned in any references I've found.  While you can save all your categories by applying them all to a single contact that does not help in applying those categories.  I've been in contact with a senior MS Office support engineer regarding the lack of bringing forward categories from previous MAPI or ESA protocols, the research group is aware of the problem.

Thanks for the response,

J. Austin

John A

Monday, November 14, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for detailed information.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to post in this forum.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:38 AM