none
Add-ins Sharing Data RRS feed

• Question

• We are developing a set of add-ins for Word and Excel.  A few of these add-ins need to share data retrieved by some of the other add-ins.  Is there a recommended way to do this?  We were thinking of using an external file, but we wanted to avoid the I/O if possible.  

Thanks

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hi jmncush

This is something I actually use, but I think the two add-ins could provide/consume a web-service (or two) for the data exchange? If you could be sure both are running at the same time.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If the data should be transferred beteen two add-ins loaded at the same time, you can achieve this by invoking a public method in an add-in in this way:

ExcelApp.COMAddins.Item(strMyComAddinProgId).Object.MyPublicPropertyOrMethod

If however, this is expected to work while the other add-in is unloaded, you'll need to use the registry or file system. 

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi jmncush

This is something I actually use, but I think the two add-ins could provide/consume a web-service (or two) for the data exchange? If you could be sure both are running at the same time.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:01 AM