none
Wizard freezes when creating Model with View of View from other schema RRS feed

• Question

• Accessing from the wizard a schema and selecting a single view (call it View "A")from it.

This view is select * from a view in another schema (call it View "B") to which the EF accessed schema has select permissions.

When I choose this View A in the wizard and hit "Finish" to create the model, it just hangs. No error message, nothing. 

I've created plenty of models with Entity Framework against Oracle. I've checked that ODAC is up to date. Does anyone know a fix or an alternative solution? Basically I'm trying to access some data from a user with limited permissions.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Bon Franklin,

Welcome to MSDN Forum.

I have tested in SQL Server2008R2 and VS2010 as the steps you provided. But the wizard works well, no hangs appear. Based on the database is the 3rd party, so I can't test it in Oracle, I'm not sure whether it is related to Oracle database. If possible, please try to test in SQL Server to find whether there's the same issue appears.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:03 AM

All replies

• Could you please clarify the operation steps? I want to try to repro it.

Go go Doraemon!

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:05 AM
  • In Oracle

1) Create a view in the same schema as which the data resides.

2) Create another user (with appropriate permissions) and create a view in that user's schema which is just a select * of the other view in the first schema.

In Visual Studio 2010

1) In existing class library project add New Item -> ADO.Net Entity Data Model

2) Connect to Schema created in Oracle step 2. The desired View is listed here in the Add dialog.

3) Select the View and click Finish.

It just hangs indefinitely. 

I ended up just using ODP.Net to work around this, so I don't need a solution for my project any more. But I was hoping to use Entity Framework since it is where most of my middleware stuff is happening and this kind of breaks that pattern a little bit. But a solution would still be nice for future reference.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Hi Bon Franklin,

Welcome to MSDN Forum.

I have tested in SQL Server2008R2 and VS2010 as the steps you provided. But the wizard works well, no hangs appear. Based on the database is the 3rd party, so I can't test it in Oracle, I'm not sure whether it is related to Oracle database. If possible, please try to test in SQL Server to find whether there's the same issue appears.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Hi Bon Franklin,

Any update about this issue? If you need further help, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:14 AM
  • You can't replicate this scenario in SQL server because the user model is completely different in that dbms.

It only happens with me in Oracle. I realized that the Oracle instance is 8i in this shop. So I'm chalking it up to that, seeing that I don't have another alternative database to use.

Using a stored proc with ODAC was not too much of a hassle of a workaround.

Thanks for looking into it though.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:04 AM