none
Upload error through Azure Storage Explorer_EISDIR illegal operation on directory

Question

• Uploading files through Azure Storage Explorer has been successful for more than 1 year.

However, at this time, after I formated my computer and re-installed Window7 ultimate 64 bit, Azure Storage Explorer shows an error message 'uploading 10 blobs and 10 completed but 1 error, EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory'.

(please refer to the attached screenshot of error)

I log-in Windows as, of course, Administrator and tried to guarantee full permission on the directory but no luck.

This problem is being re-produced every time and has critically negative influence on my project.

Can someone kindly share excellent insight to me ?

Thank you so much always to the excellent people here MSDN !

• Edited by Kay_Lee Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:13 AM
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:12 AM

Answers

• I've got a technical support from Microsoft through remote connection yesterday.

The temporary conclusion is,

Only, if you see 'uploading 10 and 10 completed (both same numbers only) and x (some) errors', the Azure Storage itself is just finely working as it has been. When you try to test accessing some test files on Azure Storage through URL, if they can be accessed, the Azure Storage has no problem.

And it seems the Storage 'Explorer' (recent version) has a simple problem (not the Storage itself) that the 'Explorer' just show this error message when there is blank space in folder name. We(I and Microsoft engineer tested it couple of times).

I thought I just formatted my computer and re-installed Windows7 ultimate 64 bit but just realized that because I re-installed Windows7, I had to also re-install the recent version of Storage 'Explorer'.

Maybe, Microsoft is already working on preparing corrective update patch for Storage 'Explorer' and note that this case is reported officially by Microsoft engineer.

Simply, again, the temporary conclusion is, 'Storage' is fine but, 'Strorage Explorer' has very tiny, ignorable problem.

Have happy time with wonderful flowers in Spring !

• Marked as answer by Kay_Lee Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:34 PM
    • Edited by Kay_Lee Friday, April 28, 2017 1:41 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:30 PM

All replies

• The query needs a further deeper dive technically. We would request you to create a Technical Support Ticket

Note: Having more than 3 groups of blobs or files uploading at the same time may cause errors

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:05 AM
  • I am also getting this error. Never before had it.

I have been using this successfully for some time.

Scott

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Me too - same error.

However, it seems all files were uploaded successfully, the Storage Explorer appears to be attempting internally to read a directory as if it was a file and fails, but it then seems to skip the error and continue uploading all child files within the folder anyways.  At least for me, the errors can just be ignored.

• Edited by Kris Penner Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:27 PM
  • Problem reproduced. In our case there are so many errors that we can't proceed with a big upload.
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Guess it's not my lucky day, first time try this tool and got this error:

Uploading from 'xxx' to 'xxx' EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read

Good news is seems the file is actually uploaded.

The other problem is when I tried to upload a big folder with thousands of subfolder/files, the application used 50% CPU and the UI doesn't response for very long time, I almost killed it. Seems it's not well designed/tested to handle big load. 

We are trying to migrate data from Akamai to Azure CDN. Without proper working tool, it's very difficult for us to move tens of thousands of files to Azure storage, and it could be a deal breaker. 

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:28 PM
  • I've got a technical support from Microsoft through remote connection yesterday.

The temporary conclusion is,

Only, if you see 'uploading 10 and 10 completed (both same numbers only) and x (some) errors', the Azure Storage itself is just finely working as it has been. When you try to test accessing some test files on Azure Storage through URL, if they can be accessed, the Azure Storage has no problem.

And it seems the Storage 'Explorer' (recent version) has a simple problem (not the Storage itself) that the 'Explorer' just show this error message when there is blank space in folder name. We(I and Microsoft engineer tested it couple of times).

I thought I just formatted my computer and re-installed Windows7 ultimate 64 bit but just realized that because I re-installed Windows7, I had to also re-install the recent version of Storage 'Explorer'.

Maybe, Microsoft is already working on preparing corrective update patch for Storage 'Explorer' and note that this case is reported officially by Microsoft engineer.

Simply, again, the temporary conclusion is, 'Storage' is fine but, 'Strorage Explorer' has very tiny, ignorable problem.

Have happy time with wonderful flowers in Spring !

• Marked as answer by Kay_Lee Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:34 PM
    • Edited by Kay_Lee Friday, April 28, 2017 1:41 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:30 PM
  • Thanks SumanthBM.

I tried that way through help site of Microsoft but no luck for this case.

But just kindly refer to my self-answer.

Thanks again for your precious time and kind comment !

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:33 PM
  • Hello Scott,

I've got technical support from Microsoft.

Please kindly refer to my self-answer.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Hello Kris,

Thank you.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Hello catalandres,

Thank you.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:37 PM
  • Hello Jack,

Thank you.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:37 PM