Multiple web service calls all sharing same data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Because the various Silverlight charts are all so under performing, particularly on large datasets, I've ended up throwing it all away and having to go back to using our server side ChartDirector.dll to generate appropriate chart images that get called via standard web service calls. So far so good.

My issue is that I have one page that generates ten or so such charts all from one web service call - the trouble is that the generation of this number of charts can take up to 10s or so and I would like to bring at least the delivery of the first chart down if possible by splitting into separate service calls. Howver each of these charts essentially uses the same underlying data called from a sql server proc and I would not particularly want to have to make the same data call ten times in a row.

Does anyone know what the best way is to handle this? Should I, for example, use a session variable or other device to store the data to be shared across the ten separate web services?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use a static class to encapsulate some static methods which retrieve data form Data Base. Then Call these method in separate web services so that sharing same data between the Multiple web service.

Give this a try.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• let me answer this ,If i got your query properly .

If all your charts are using same set of data , why you are calling separate service each time why dont you handale it on client side ,Storing LoadOperation reult in a var.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:56 AM
  • The charts do all use the same data but on the server side through a web service call - the data never gets passed back to the client - only a number of ChartDirector generated png imgs (byte[]) inside a Dictionary.

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

You can use a static class to encapsulate some static methods which retrieve data form Data Base. Then Call these method in separate web services so that sharing same data between the Multiple web service.

Give this a try.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:48 AM