Resize Fonts, etc very easily in a Silverlight Desktop App (as you can when running Internet Explorer) RRS feed

• Question

• So far I have used LightSwitch for Silverlight web apps.  However, I would also be very nice to provide the option to use Desktop Apps as well.  The one thing that is keeping me from using Desktop Apps more is the issue of the size of fonts.

Perhaps this has been discussed and I've not found it.  But what is the simplest way to give a desktop app the ability to resize the fonts, etc (so the visually imparted data entry processors can see it)?

I'm hoping this is a simple solution, extension, or a simple extension that can be built so I can provide a slider or similar control that will affect the size of the fonts displayed.

Thanks so much!

By the way, I use Visual Studio Professional 2012 with the latest patches, etc.

Would someone please turn on the LIGHT?

Monday, May 6, 2013 10:02 PM

Answers

• Hi, if you are capable of making your own themes based on the source code provided for the Cosmopolitan theme, you can create a theme with larger fonts by altering these settings in the main styles:

<sys:Double x:Key="NormalFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="Heading1FontSize">16</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="Heading2FontSize">13</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="StrongFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="EmphasisFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="WarningFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="NoteFontSize">9</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="GoodFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="BadFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="NeutralFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="ToolTipFontSize">11</sys:Double>

Let us know if you need more help.

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website Opinions are my own. For better forums, please mark as helpful/answer, if it helps/solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by JoeB_LS103 Monday, May 13, 2013 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi, I'm open to any Guesses, etc., even if you feel like a newbie.  I freely will vote your post as helpful if it is remotely helpful.

Also, if you have any suggestions about other solutions that will come close to giving me this, I'm all game!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Hi, if you are capable of making your own themes based on the source code provided for the Cosmopolitan theme, you can create a theme with larger fonts by altering these settings in the main styles:

<sys:Double x:Key="NormalFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="Heading1FontSize">16</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="Heading2FontSize">13</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="StrongFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="EmphasisFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="WarningFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="NoteFontSize">9</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="GoodFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="BadFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="NeutralFontSize">11</sys:Double>
      <sys:Double x:Key="ToolTipFontSize">11</sys:Double>

Let us know if you need more help.

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website Opinions are my own. For better forums, please mark as helpful/answer, if it helps/solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by JoeB_LS103 Monday, May 13, 2013 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Thanks much for the suggestions.

I'll be happy to have any other suggestions!

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:27 PM
  • By they way, I just found out that in the LightSwitch 2013 desktop if you hold CTRL and then scroll with the mouse wheel the fonts resize.

It would be more clear if all the resizer options were available, such as a custom slider, CTRL + and CTRL -, but I'll take whatever I can get!  The lack of a resizer feature was a huge hang-up for my apps, and this "Flaw" will be very useful!

Anyone have any insights, if this is actually a feature.  Then if there is a way to make it so the out-of-browser desktop window can resize more simply, please let me know!

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:06 PM