none
Excel JavaScript API - any Undo action causes BindingDataChanged event to fire even if the undo doesn't impact the bindings RRS feed

• Question

• If I have 2 bindings in a sheet and then I enter text some place else in the sheet (not in any binding range) and then undo (Ctrl Z) I get a BindingDataChanged for both of my bindings even though nothing has changed in the binding ranges.

Why does the API do this?  It seems like a bug in the API and if there a lot of bindings in a single sheet this could impact the performance to the user since the event will be called unnecessarily.

Note that an Undo action in another sheet won't cause the BindingDataChanged even to fire.

Thanks,

Jim

• Edited by Jim - Strive Friday, March 4, 2016 6:51 PM quick append
    Friday, March 4, 2016 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

>> Note that an Undo action in another sheet won't cause the BindingDataChanged even to fire

I made a test with your code in your another thread, and I could reproduce your issue with only one binding. I suggest you check the Undo action in the sheet which worked correctly at your side. If it worked correctly with only one binding, it would be helpful if you could share us your demo code. If it did not work, I suggest you submit a feedback in the link below:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

>> Note that an Undo action in another sheet won't cause the BindingDataChanged even to fire

I made a test with your code in your another thread, and I could reproduce your issue with only one binding. I suggest you check the Undo action in the sheet which worked correctly at your side. If it worked correctly with only one binding, it would be helpful if you could share us your demo code. If it did not work, I suggest you submit a feedback in the link below:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Hi Edward,

I probably confused things by using two binding ranges in the description.  The problem occurs with only one binding range as you suggest.  I will submit a User Voice for this.

https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/12833409-fix-issue-with-javascript-for-excel-any-undo-acti

I think I further confused things with the "other sheet" undo.  What I meant was if I had a binding on Sheet 1 and I was working in Sheet 2 which had no bindings and did an Undo in Sheet 2 it would not cause the BindingDataChanged event in Sheet 1, which is correct behavior.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

• Edited by Jim - Strive Monday, March 7, 2016 2:57 PM add user voice link
    Monday, March 7, 2016 3:44 AM
  • Hi Jim,

If there is no other issues about this thread, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close this thread.

Best Regards,

Edward

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:16 AM