Run a .net application on linux? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to run a .net application on a linux machine and I am planning to use Grasshopper but before digging in it would be appreciable if somebody had experience on this can give an answer about the restrictions of running a .net application on linux (e.g valid namespaces,UI objects)

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:37 AM

Answers

• Its real simple.   VB.NET applications require the .net framework to be installed.   For Linux there is no .net framework available - there are only windows versions.   

Its not necessarily a licensing restriction (albiet there may be something in the EULA) but its that the binaries themselves just wont work on linux - the .net framework is built for installation on windows machines.

If you want to do development for linux, you should look up something called Mono (which is a open source project) to implement something very similar to .net for Linux.  

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:39 PM

All replies

• someone else has asked a similar question

according to the license agreement, you are not allowed to create apps that run on anything other than a windows operating system

Friday, June 22, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Its real simple.   VB.NET applications require the .net framework to be installed.   For Linux there is no .net framework available - there are only windows versions.   

Its not necessarily a licensing restriction (albiet there may be something in the EULA) but its that the binaries themselves just wont work on linux - the .net framework is built for installation on windows machines.

If you want to do development for linux, you should look up something called Mono (which is a open source project) to implement something very similar to .net for Linux.  

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Thanks. I will try this
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:10 PM