Need advice on management VMs storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've successfully deployed Azure Stack TP1 and I'm looking forward for the next Technical Preview release so that it could be installed on multi-host environment. Right now I'm trying to figure our what would be the best scenario for my private cloud. I want to follow the disaggregated pattern where storage hosts are separate machines from Hyper-V compute hosts - so that I will be able to scale them out separately. And I just wonder where I should place my management VMs like Active Directory VM, SQL Server VM, any any other VMs needed by Azure Stack. I can see two solutions:

1. Build a failover cluster with local storage (thanks to the Storage Spaces Direct) consisting of 4 physical nodes - these nodes will host the management VMs and their volumes.

2. Build a failover cluster which will host the management VMs, but VMs' volumes will be physically placed in a Storage Pool created on top of my storage hosts. 

I want to achieve full-HA setup (failure of any of the hosts in the cluster should not break down the functionality). 
    Any suggestions and possible improvements will be greatly appreciated.

PS. 

I wanted to paste some images but it looks like my account is not verified yet. How can I get it verified?

Regards,
    Mateusz

Friday, March 18, 2016 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hello Mateusz,

We are currently researching on your query; we will revert to you as soon as we have an update.

To verify your account, please check the link below:

How to Verify Your MSDN/TechNet Forums Account So that You Can Post Images and Links
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Regards,
    Ajay

Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Thanks Mateusz, great questions.

First, with Azure Stack our deployment tooling will take care of establishing the appropriate pattern for installation and configuration of the "management" stack. This isn't something you have to try and do yourself.

Second, our first design pattern is based on a hyperconverged topology (namely co-resident compute and storage). In this topology the management VM's are co-resident with tenant VM's on compute and storage, but are suitably isolated on the network. We will have a second pattern on disaggregated pattern too, wherein you are spot on, we will create a separate hyperconverged cluster for management. Regardless of the pattern, we will provide the tooling for this.

It would be great to understand some details of the scenarios and scale that you want to reach with your endeavor, so we can work with you on this.

Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:37 PM
  • @Vijayte 
    Do you mean that in the next versions of Azure Stack the installer will take care of deploying the management stack for me (and that I will be able to choose one of these two design patterns: hyperconverged and disaggregated)? What is included in the 'management stack' in such case? 

Maybe more general question - how will the Azure Stack installation process look like? I can see that there are many new components in Azure Stack, but some of them (like VM with AD & DNS, VM with SQL Server) were already present when I played with System Center and Azure Pack. Will I have to deploy and configure them by myself? When it comes to storage solution - will Azure Stack be able to automatically deploy a storage cluster for me? 

My goal is to automate the Azure Stack installation and configuration process. I'm aware that with Technical Preview 1 I'm not able to do a lot. I assumed that while waiting for TP2 I could automate the deployment of storage cluster and some of the management VMs (SQL Server, AD). Is it worthwhile? Or the toolkit you mentioned about will take care of deploying the whole stack for me? 

I wanted to start with very simple setup - 3 or 4 compute nodes and 4 storage nodes. I don't know the upper limits yet but I would like to at least play with something like 30-nodes setup.

My last two questions:
    - How will the integration with System Center look like?
    - Are you able to provide the next Technical Preview release date? 

Thank you!
    Mateusz
    Monday, March 21, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hi Mateusz,

1. How will the Azure Stack installation process look like? Will I have to deploy and configure them by myself? When it comes to storage solution - will Azure Stack be able to automatically deploy a storage cluster for me?
      For TP1, deployment is automated based on a PowerShell Script and a set of VHDs. The script prompts you for information and then takes care of all the configuration necessary to stand up a single-node Azure Stack POC environment.
    2. Is it worthwhile to wait for TP2 so I could automate the deployment of storage cluster and some of the management VMs (SQL Server, AD)?
      If the intention of this automated deployment is for Azure Stack itself, that is all taken care of via the deployment scripts, which are even available as part of TP1 today. If it is for something outside Azure Stack, more details on the scope of the automation is needed.
    3. How will the integration with System Center look like?
      Azure Stack can certainly be integrated into a broader System Center & OMS deployment in customers’ datacenters. The details on this integration will be available in the future.
    4. Are you able to provide the next Technical Preview release date?
      On April 5, an incremental update of Azure Stack Technical Preview 1 has been released. You could find the details here.

Hope this addresses your query.

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:55 AM