none
Deploying .vsto to company network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having troubles distributing my .vsto plugin on my local office's network. I think the problem is with the signature - because it works fine on my computer, but gives error on everybody else's:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException: Exception reading manifest from file:///[full network location here]/GRW_2.0.vsto: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened. ---> System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException: Manifest XML signature is not valid. ---> System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: SignatureDescription could not be created for the signature algorithm supplied.
       at System.Security.Cryptography.Xml.SignedXml.CheckSignedInfo(AsymmetricAlgorithm key)
       at System.Security.Cryptography.Xml.SignedXml.CheckSignatureReturningKey(AsymmetricAlgorithm& signingKey)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.CodeSigning.SignedCmiManifest.Verify(CmiManifestVerifyFlags verifyFlags)
       at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.ValidateSignature(Stream s)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.ValidateSignature(Stream s)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

First there was only the temporary key attached (which was by default), but then, after researching on the net I thought I should add a certificate to my solution and then publish. So I went to the Properties/Signing and I found my network ID amongst the 'Select from Store' options. It said it is not trusted, because it is not installed in the 'Trusted Root Certification Authorities'. So I did install there. Now, when I Install the plugin on my computer, I see my network ID as the publisher, but it gives the very same error on other computers.

Can somebody point me to the right direction? I'm sure there's a simple solution to distribute a plugin for 3X people within the same office.

Thanks!

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You need to purchase a valid certificate from a trusted authority. See Digital signature for more information.

because it is not installed in the 'Trusted Root Certification Authorities'. So I did install there.

Or you may try to repeat the same steps on other machines (temporarily). 

Saturday, May 16, 2015 11:29 AM