Netmon not finding NIC on Win 7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• Working with MS support on a problem, we installed Netmon 3.4 on an XP laptop, Win 2003 Server and Win 7 Ultimate PC.  All installed okay, and on server and laptop, when run Netmon shows the computer's NIC.  But on the Win 7 machine there is no NIC shown, even though the machine certainly has one and can communicate with the Internet and the server and laptop.  It can ping and be pinged.  Same when run as Administrator.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled Netmon with no change.  Suggestions and ideas?
    Norm D
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Norm,

Have you tried logging off and on again.  Since Vista the security model requires you to in order to update the permissions you need to capture.

The other thing to try is to type "sc query nm3" at the command prompt, does it say the Netmon driver is in the running state?  If it's stopped, try "sc start nm3".

If there is no nm3 driver, then there was probably an issue during installation.  You can find the install log in your AppData\Local\Temp directory named "NetmonInstall.log"

Let us know what you find.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    • Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Monday, May 16, 2011 1:39 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Interesting!  "sc query nm3" returns "The specified service doesn not exist as an installed service" and saif FAILED 1060.  The "sc start" gave the same message.

I've installed Netmon twice and no "bad" messages have been reported as part of the install.  I found the AppData\Local\Temp directory but there is no NetmonInstall.log file in it.

Ideas?

Norm D
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Sounds like the driver wasn't installed properly.  There should be some sort of install log though, I wonder if it would be in an alternate location for some reason.

You can try running "nmconfig /install" from an administrative command prompt.  But this is sounding suspiciously like you've hit the filter driver limit in Win7.  Check out this other thread on a similar issue here.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:45 PM