none
Redistributable package for Visual Studio 2015 Update 2

Question

• Today, I downloaded the newest redistributble package for Visual Studio 2015 Update 2.

According to the description on Visual Studio Update 2, there might be lots of improvements on C-runtime and I expected that there must be differences on several runtime libraries such as api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-l.dll.

As I expected, installing Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 dispatches several updated dll files on Windows Kits directory in C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs\x86|x64. For example, the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-l.dll in the directory I refered above version-labeled as 10.0.10586.15.

According to my general expectation on dll dispatch on Windows system, I definitely expected that the redistributable package shall install the latest version file(10.0.10586.15) on C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory. But it didn't.

The runtime libraries' version was just same as before, 10.0.10240.16390. Even, there was no latest version files any location inside Windows directory.

Is there any special deployment way what I don't know which make C++ application runs under the latest runtime libraries?

How such huge CRT improvements on Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 can be deployed with the appropriate redistributable package?

Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:26 AM

Answers

• I found the answer among the Universal CRT blog's comments. I suggest you to update the related pages.

• Marked as answer by Daewan Cho Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Daewan Cho,

>>Is there any special deployment way what I don't know which make C++ application runs under the latest runtime libraries?

Maybe you could get useful information here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235316.aspx

Generally we installed the runtime libraries, maybe you could deploy the setup files included the dll files without setup the whole runtime libraries or others.

>>How such huge CRT improvements on Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 can be deployed with the appropriate redistributable package?

This document shared us some official information about the updates here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#d-visual-c

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi Jack,

According to the guide where in the page you said,

"Central deployment by using redistributable packages, which installs Visual C++ libraries as shared DLLs in %windir%\system32\."

I installed the redistributable package on the target system operates under Window Embedded 7, but no DLLs are copied into %windir%\system32\.

Monday, April 25, 2016 1:45 AM
  • Hi Daewan Cho,

>>I installed the redistributable package on the target system operates under Window Embedded 7, but no DLLs are copied into %windir%\system32\.

Maybe it is related to the windows version 32 bit or 64 bit.

Or it is related to the runtime library version.

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#d-visual-c

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:30 AM
  • I found the answer among the Universal CRT blog's comments. I suggest you to update the related pages.

• Marked as answer by Daewan Cho Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:42 AM