none
Azure SQL PaaS converting singleton to Azure Elastic Database Pools RRS feed

• Question

• Azure Support, i have a Azure singleton DB's S2,S3,P1 ...i am planning to move them to a Elastic POOL...is this mix and match possible.

Want to make sure if i can have a Single Elastic Pool which can cater for moving all the S2,S3,P1/P2 into a single Pool (Standard/Premium). 

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, you can do it. Create an elastic pool, make a click on “Configure pool”, then make a click to “Add to pool”. Now select all the “singleton” databases you want to include in the newly created pool. The following article provide you the step-by-step procedure:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-elastic-pool#manage-sql-database-elastic-pools-using-the-azure-portal

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Single databases in S2 through P2 can be moved into a single elastic pool.

If the pool is in the Premium tier, then the performance settings available can support the range of performance levels across S2-P2.  More specifically, the eDTU max per database of the pool should be set to 250 eDTUs to ensure that the database that was in P2 has sufficient eDTU headroom.

If the pool is in the Standard tier, then the performance settings available can support the range of performance levels across S2-P2 only if the P1-P2 databases are CPU bound.  This is because the IO throughput per DTU is an order of magnitude higher in the Premium tier than the Standard tier regardless of whether the database is in pool or not. 

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 10:31 PM
  • Thanks  a lot for your reply

I tried  moving a B1 and a P1 database to Standard Pool through portal and i see the message "pending" and its been two hours the status has not moved. So i had to cancel

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Thank you very much for the reply, Will try these options.

My requirement is to use 3 S3's and 2 P1's. 

Do you  have any suggestions?

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Can we scale up and down the elastic pools
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Hello,

When you move your database to an elastic pool the size of the database matter because the process involves moving databases and failing over.

What is the size of the databases?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 5:16 AM
  • Hello,

On the manage elastic pool section of below article you will see how to scale up and down an elastic pool.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-elastic-pool#manage-sql-database-elastic-pools-using-the-azure-portal

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 5:27 AM
  • I see this statement in the documentation, so i believe this is applicable for changing from Standard to Premium ?.

After you choose the pricing tier and commit your changes by clicking OK in the last step, you won't be able to change the pricing tier of the pool. To change the pricing tier for an existing elastic pool, create an elastic pool in the desired pricing tier and migrate the databases to this new pool.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:09 PM
  • Hello,

But you can change eDTU per database and storage limit. You get better performance when you scale the eDTU limit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:23 PM
  • the size of these databases are around 200MB each, may grow in the future...hope i answered your question ....please let me know.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:27 PM
  • I am trying to add the below to a Premium Pool (Pool eDTU's 500 and Pool GB 750) and it is taking for ever to add the databases to the pool.....Any tips or tricks should help.

Two S2's (DTU's 50, Size 100 MB) = 100 DTU's and 200 MB

One S3 (100 DTU , Size 100 MB) = 100 DTU's and 100 MB

One P1 (125 DTU, 500 MB) = 125 DTU and 500 MB 

Added the Image as well...

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:04 PM
  • My bad i am forgotting to press the save button :) phew :)

thanks for your help 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hello,

Are they all located in the same region? If they are not in the same region that may explain the latency.

I shared this thread with more people. I hope more possible causes may be shared with you.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:39 PM
  • I think the issue i had was with not saving the edit....to answer your question yes i am using the same region . 

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 9:57 PM