none
Shapes only copy in safe mode RRS feed

• Question

• I have two computers, one with Excel 2010 and one with Excel 2013 where copying a sheet doesn't copy shapes or images.  For example, the shape isn't visible on the new sheet after running:

ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape msoShapeRectangle, 50, 50, 100, 100
    ActiveSheet.Copy Before:=ActiveSheet

The same thing happens if I create the shape and copy the sheet manually.

If I start Excel in safe mode (excel.exe /s) it works.  I have tried removing all COM Add-ins and disabling Excel add-ins, but can't get the functionality to work.  What other changes does the /s command line parameter make that I can test to determine the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Clancy

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:25 AM

All replies

• Further information on the issue...

Starting with /automation doesn't fix the problem, only starting with /safe or /s.

Hope someone can help with this!

Clancy

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:42 AM
  • Hi Clancy,

Base on my test in Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 (in different machine), both of them works fine (Programmatically or manual copy)

You may share a sample file on the OneDrive, we will check it whether the issue is related to file or environment.  

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:31 AM
  • Hi Starain,

Thanks for your reply.

I also found that it works on other computers, just not the two used for a specific spreadsheet.

My question was really trying to determine why it works in Excel safe mode on those computers.  I found that Excel's safe mode doesn't load the user's Excel options from the registry whereas automation mode (which didn't work) does load the registry settings.

I cleared the users' Excel registry settings and this solved the problem.  I wasn't able to determine the specific registry setting that was causing the problem.  I hope this provides some useful information for others who may come across this page with a similar issue.

Thanks for trying to help.

Clancy

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:08 AM
  • Hi Clancy,

Since the issue is persist when you copy the sheet manually and clear the user’s excel registry settings could solve the problem, I think it is related to Excel instead of in excel object model, I suggest that you could post it to Excel IT Pro Discussions forum.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:33 AM