none
EF Designer Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Our vb application supports both sql and oracle db. Now I need to convert to .net app using Entity framework.

challenges are:

1. Same edmx should be used for both sql/oracle. we planned keep CSDL, MSL common and create a SSDL (db schema) separately for sql, oracle.  so context will be created using CSDL, MSL and corresponding SSDL.

Is it the better approach? I cant go for code-first approach, since Oracle doesn't support code first.

Designer issues

1. Some tables have around 150 columns, and they are not in English language,  When I remove the unwanted columns from the designer, columns are not removed from SSDL part. it is removed only from CSDL. due to this, I am getting designer error.
    2. If try to add back the removed scalar property in the entity, again this is not updated in SSDL part.
    3. When I add Int32 property in the designer, it says The Type Int32 is not qualified with a namespace or alias so I need to change it manually in the xml.

Is it the problem of EF designer issues? what is solution for this? is there any other better way to do this.

Regards, Anand

• Edited by manand1234 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Anand,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

First, I have not tested this scenario, because it is related to a third party database. I cannot reproduce it on my side. You can take a look at this page: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/82017/Preparing-an-Entity-Framework-model-for-multi-prov

Second, you were using Database First approach. Store schema definition language (SSDL) is an XML-based language that describes the storage model of an Entity Framework application. It is based on the database you use, so it does not change automatically based on the modification you done to edmx. If you want to add or delete some properties on edmx and affect the database, the way you go is called Model First which is not Database First. You cannot use Database First and Model First simultaneously.

Have a nice day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Friday, November 9, 2012 8:54 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:03 AM