Mobile Page Layout help RRS feed

• Question

• User908137417 posted

Hello

Im trying to develop a small site for mobiles, but Im having problems with the presentation of the page data.  Iv tried searching online for help but so far have failed to find any useful information.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good internet resources for asp.net mobile page layout, or any usefull tips.

Im trying to neatly structure my data, example below.

Current layout

Time:14 00
    Date:28/10/06
    WVHT:7.9 ft
    DPD:6 sec
    WSPD:18.1 kts
    WDIR:SW | 230°

Desired layout

Time 14 00
    Date 28/10/06
    WVHT 7.9 ft
    DPD 6 sec
    WSPD 18.1 kts
    WDIR SW | 230°

From what I have read so far, some mobile devices do not support HTML tables, so I am currently using

<Mobile:Label id="Label1" runat="server" Alignment="Left" BreakAfter="False">Time:</Mobile:Label> 

Also I will also need to display more information in a table like structure with 5 columns and 5 rows. 

If any one knows how I can display two mobile label/text controls on the same line and maintain the data structure over multiple lines I would be greatful for some pointers in the right direction. 

Many Thanks.  James

Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:16 PM

All replies

• User-1692070805 posted

I don't see how that is ever going to work.  The only way to guarantee alignment is to use a table.

I suppose you could mess with aligning data somewhat by trying to calculate sizes of strings and inserting a number of "&nbsp;", but it will never be exact.

Personally, I would use a table (and I do) and formatting will just look bad on the few devices that do not support tables.  It will probably end up looking like it does when you use the labels when tables are not supported.  Usually the data still displays.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:47 PM
  • User908137417 posted

Thanks for the input.  I suppose a tables are the way to go.

Thanks again

james

Monday, October 30, 2006 7:39 AM