none
Any specific type of SSL-cert. needed for AutoDiscover? RRS feed

Answers

• Any trusted, (as defined by the platform you are running on), SSL certificate should work. I've had it working both with single name certs, and wildcard certs. Since I'm cheap in the SSL department I'm using GoDaddy and it works without any issues :)

There are of course requirements like "autodiscover" needing to be included as the common name since the protocol is hardwired to use this name. (The workaround if you cannot use that specific name is to use SRV records instead for the lookup.)

• Marked as answer by Southbranch Monday, February 13, 2012 11:58 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Hi Southbranch,

Did Andreas answer your question? If not, please provide additional details for your scenario and we will gladly assist you. Have you checked http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332063(EXCHG.80).aspx#ADAndCertificates

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Thanks Andreas,

We'll go with your comment and go for a standard cert. I'll get back if any other issue should arrise.

Many thanks 

• Marked as answer by Southbranch Monday, February 13, 2012 12:05 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Southbranch,

Thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

• Unmarked as answer by Southbranch Monday, February 13, 2012 11:58 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Any trusted, (as defined by the platform you are running on), SSL certificate should work. I've had it working both with single name certs, and wildcard certs. Since I'm cheap in the SSL department I'm using GoDaddy and it works without any issues :)

There are of course requirements like "autodiscover" needing to be included as the common name since the protocol is hardwired to use this name. (The workaround if you cannot use that specific name is to use SRV records instead for the lookup.)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Hi Southbranch,

Did Andreas answer your question? If not, please provide additional details for your scenario and we will gladly assist you. Have you checked http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332063(EXCHG.80).aspx#ADAndCertificates

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Thanks Andreas,

We'll go with your comment and go for a standard cert. I'll get back if any other issue should arrise.

Many thanks 

• Marked as answer by Southbranch Monday, February 13, 2012 12:05 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:58 AM
  • We have now installed and tested with a standard SSL from GlobalSign. The cert. is issued to "autodiscover.mydomain.com" and not "MyCompany Inc" and somehow this seems to be an issue with some devices.

On iPhone there is a popup saying ""Unknown puplisher"... We can get pass it be selecting various options and then get it to work, but it doesn't feel very user friendly. We have checked with our supplier and they claim SSL-cert should be issued to the domain name rather than company name (as for code signing certs).

Any comments here?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi Southbranch,

The purpose of this forum is to support the Open Specifications documentation. You can read about the Microsoft Open Specifications program here, http://www.microsoft.com/openspecifications/en/us/default.aspx
    Your question may be more applicable to this forum,
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:16 PM