none
MoCap/BVH export RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Currently with openNI drivers I've been able to hook up my kinect to capture mocap data. 

Would be thankful to answer to either:

Do the old openNI drivers work with the new kinect so I can use Brekel to capture mocap?

or 

Does MS provide a proprietary software I can use to capture mocap for export to other software?

AND...

I've read that the technology for near range detection's been improved, but has there been significant change for regular distance capture?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:42 AM

All replies

• I'd like to add that by "technology improvement" I mean strictly hardware, like focus, but not internal algorithms.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:20 PM
  • No but 3d capture is possible because people have asked about it before in the kinect forums.

I dont know where a link to a project is doing this right now but will post back if i find one. Yes with a hardware device distance can be improved but software wise no you cant improve the distance.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:42 PM
  • I cross-asked this question to Brekel, the developer to capture mocap data from kinect, and he is saying the contrary than what you are.

http://www.brekel.com/?page_id=368/feature-requests/the-new-kinect-for-windows/

Would you agree, and why/why not?

Thank you for the info.

Friday, January 27, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Distance in OPEN NI is marginal thats why i say that because half of the guys here were from OPEN NI.

You looping your answers because a hardware device makes it possible to detect at the 40 cm range with a little modification to kinect programming techniques but even with OPEN NI detection is not improved the closer you are because you need whole body into view to effectively track a person (even if kinect cant track before 80 cm) and 2-3 feet minimum to get whole body into camera view.

I can google it but it exists in real life on a shelf but probably only US ones its called the zoom:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Kinect-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYS5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327679645&sr=8-1

I beta tested the kinect and have the first one sent out and i stand fairly close to it when testing a program but pictures and models could be taken at close distances but tracking is very similar in both and you have to at least be back from the device enough to see the whole body to detect all parts of it.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, January 27, 2012 3:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:06 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Distance in OPEN NI is marginal thats why i say that because half of the guys here were from OPEN NI.

You looping your answers because a hardware device makes it possible to detect at the 40 cm range with a little modification to kinect programming techniques but even with OPEN NI detection is not improved the closer you are because you need whole body into view to effectively track a person (even if kinect cant track before 80 cm) and 2-3 feet minimum to get whole body into camera view.

I can google it but it exists in real life on a shelf but probably only US ones its called the zoom:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Kinect-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYS5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327679645&sr=8-1

I beta tested the kinect and have the first one sent out and i stand fairly close to it when testing a program but pictures and models could be taken at close distances but tracking is very similar in both and you have to at least be back from the device enough to see the whole body to detect all parts of it.

The zoom clip-on is pretty rad, and thanks as always for your input.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Your welcome im still learning everything about kinect sdk too but i know about some of the basic properties because of my project im doing which requires me to know basic joints properties.

The kinect sdk detects the whole skeleton at once thats why you need to be at least a few feet away. So with creativitiy you could detect hands and everything im just not for sure about 3d export except for that beta post for 3d export if you saw it.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:06 PM