none
Integrating winform calendar into Microsoft Exchange Server / Outlook Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a windows form calendar and I'd like to integrate it with Microsoft exchange server / Outlook Calendar. Basically my calendar has tasks/appointments in it for different users and I'd like it to sync with the outlook calendar of that specific user. I have looked online for solutions but found different solutions but i am not sure which is the right one to go for.

Can anyone suggest a starting point? The environment i am working on is visual studio 2010, C#, .NET framework 3.5

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:08 AM

Answers

• If this calendar application is running on the user's desktop where Outlook is installed you can use the Outlook object model and get the user's default calendar (or another calendar) and do the synchronization that way.

An alternative as Exchange is involved would be to use EWS (Exchange Web Services) to do the synchronizations. For that you'd need the admins to open Exchange to EWS and to use a logon with permissions to read/write/create/delete/modify items for each user.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• If this calendar application is running on the user's desktop where Outlook is installed you can use the Outlook object model and get the user's default calendar (or another calendar) and do the synchronization that way.

An alternative as Exchange is involved would be to use EWS (Exchange Web Services) to do the synchronizations. For that you'd need the admins to open Exchange to EWS and to use a logon with permissions to read/write/create/delete/modify items for each user.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I think i have to go for the second one which is to use Exchange Web Services. Can you elaborate further when you said about:

'For that you'd need the admins to open Exchange to EWS and to use a logon with permissions to read/write/create/delete/modify items for each user.'

I am still unfamiliar with exchange server therefore i do not fully understand.

Many thanks,

MJ

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:28 PM
  • See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877045(v=exchg.140).aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange/bb204119(v=exchg.140).aspx for some reference material on EWS. Also, expertise on EWS is more likely to be found in an EWS forum, try

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads for that.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:04 PM
  • OK will do.

Thank you,

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

I asked the same question in the forum you gave me but had no response yet from them since yesterday. I just want to ask if there is an exchange server out there that such development could target for testing? I dont want to test it with our own server incase of i do something wrong that could effect our server badly.

Thanks,

Mark

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:11 PM
  • You would have to open an account with an Exchange hosting service, or have your admins set up a test sandbox server for you. There are no public test Exchange servers that are available for free that I've ever heard of.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Hi there,

We just decided to use our current server and will just be very careful when we are developing our application.

I have a quick question tho, i dont understand how appointment IDs are generated. Do we have to create them ourselves or its generated automatically. Because at the moment, i can assign an appointment from calendar application to the outlook calendar successfully. Now I trying to delete an appointment from outlook by deleting it in the calendar application. I followed these steps from the the official website but i get an error when it comes to the ID, it gives an errors saying ID is malformed:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa580234.aspx

Many thanks,

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Outlook and EWS properties may or may not be compatible or identical. You need to ask EWS questions in the forum I recommended where there is expertise in EWS.

In the case of Outlook, it generates the EntryID and GlobalAppointmentID properties and you don't have to do anything. I have no idea about the EWS property you're asking about, or whether or not it has anything to do with the Outlook properties.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Thank you for the fast response. No one have replied to my previous post yet so I just asked in this forum again.

I have posted a new question regarding my problem hopefully somene will get back to me.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:04 AM