signed binaries for Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Vista test case: "Each application executable with an extension of exe, .dll, .ocx, .sys, .cpl, .drv and .scr must contain a valid signature in order to pass this test case."

My customer ships third-party binaries which are not signed, and signed binaries are not provided by Microsoft. This includes:

1. VBA 6.3 binaries

2. adodb.dll (MS ADO interop available from Microsoft)

3. winhttp5.dll

4 . gdiplus.dll (GDI+) 

5 . RichEd32.dll (MS Rich Edit)

6. MSVcp60.dll/MSVCRt.dll/MSVCiRt.dll (MS VC 6 runtime, redist from MS Visual Studio 6)

7. MFC42.dll/mfc42u.dll (MFC 4.2, redist from MS Visual Studio 6)

8. HH.exe/HHCtrlUI.dll (MS Support for CHM help)

9. SQLDMO.dll (SQL DMO)

10. Extract.exe (Microsoft (R) Cabinet Extraction Tool)

11. instmsiw.exe (Redistributable of Windows Installer 3.1)

The above files are not signed and signed versions are, apparently, not available (or are they?).

What are the actions related to Vista certification?

Friday, January 12, 2007 1:02 PM

Answers

• There is a waiver that can be submitted for 3rd party binaries. As long as contact information is provided there should be no problem. You can get the waiver document at this location: http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/6/cd64a428-3442-4c55-a611-78f6e305a3d7/WaiverSubmission.doc I don't kow much about how the actual waiver process works, but I have heard rumors that as long as you provide accurate contact information for the thrid prarty component a waiver will be granted. I'm not sure if they will waiver will prevent you from distributing a WRP file. Which brings me to my next point........

Double check some of of the binaries you wat to distribute: VB runtime,  gdiplus.dll, RichEd32.dll,hh.exe, are all WRP according to my knowledge. It's possible the MS VC 6 runtime is also protected under WRP, but not positive. Actually I just doubled check and it looks like MSVcp60.dll is WRP. You can't distribute WRP files on Vista to pass logo certification. See Test Case 20

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:01 PM
  • You can look the binary to see if it's signed. You aren't supposed to distribute WRP binaries anyway, so there's no method to "go get a signed version" that I know of.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 7:22 PM

All replies

• There is a waiver that can be submitted for 3rd party binaries. As long as contact information is provided there should be no problem. You can get the waiver document at this location: http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/6/cd64a428-3442-4c55-a611-78f6e305a3d7/WaiverSubmission.doc I don't kow much about how the actual waiver process works, but I have heard rumors that as long as you provide accurate contact information for the thrid prarty component a waiver will be granted. I'm not sure if they will waiver will prevent you from distributing a WRP file. Which brings me to my next point........

Double check some of of the binaries you wat to distribute: VB runtime,  gdiplus.dll, RichEd32.dll,hh.exe, are all WRP according to my knowledge. It's possible the MS VC 6 runtime is also protected under WRP, but not positive. Actually I just doubled check and it looks like MSVcp60.dll is WRP. You can't distribute WRP files on Vista to pass logo certification. See Test Case 20

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:01 PM
  • Who can tell whether or not signed versions of MS libraries are available? The most-wanted :) libraries are:

commctllib.dll
    msvcp60.dll
    msvcrt.dll
    msxml4.dll
    msxml4a.dll
    msxml4r.dll

TIA.
    Monday, January 15, 2007 10:13 AM
  • You can look the binary to see if it's signed. You aren't supposed to distribute WRP binaries anyway, so there's no method to "go get a signed version" that I know of.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 7:22 PM