VS2008 Basic Problem - Adding a dataset to an WM project gives Custom tool error: Failed to generate code. Object reference not set to an instance of an object RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm completely new to SD development so please excuse me if I'm being an idiot.

I'm using VS2008 SP1.  I've installed Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK Refresh.

If I create a new WM project (New Project | Smart Device | Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK / CF 3.5 / Device Application).

Than Add New Item | Data | DataSet I immediately get an error "Custom tool error: Failed to generate code. Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

If I drag a table onto the XSD and switch to the XSD I get loads of "Could not find schema information for the attribute 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata:xxxxxx" type errors (as you'd expect given the above).

Creating a new Win32 app works as expected.

I haven't tried reinstalling VS2008 so far because I've so many 3rd party add-ins installed for Win32/ASP.Net development it would take a long time.  But if I need to I will obviously.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Mike

Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Jesse

Thanks for replying.  I tried that but didn't help.

I tried re-installing but still no joy.

I eventually found a thread from David_Clarke on social MSDN - thanks David  :-)

Solution was as simple as doing a devenv /resetskippkgs

Best wishes

Mike

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:38 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

I suggest you to run the Visual Studio in the Safe mode, so that it can disable some effect of third-part add-ins.

You need run the Visual Studio in Command line with Devenv.exe /SafeMode

I hope my suggestions can help you to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Hi Jesse

Thanks for replying.  I tried that but didn't help.

I tried re-installing but still no joy.

I eventually found a thread from David_Clarke on social MSDN - thanks David  :-)

Solution was as simple as doing a devenv /resetskippkgs

Best wishes

Mike

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:38 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:22 PM