Support for WMV HD ? RRS feed

• Question

• From the WPF/E FAQ:

"Will "WPF/E" support HD (720p+) quality?

HD quality is within the range of platform capabilities. As with other platforms, it will be dependent upon CPU capabilities."

I'm not sure how to understand the answer. Yes with an expected CTP release date would have be great ;-).

I'm looking for solution to implement a video player with interactive content. I've been using Flash until now, but I'm actively looking for solution to replace the expensive FLV codecs. Having support for WMV HD 720/1080 will be a major advantage for WPF/E.

As for now (CTP Feb07), the WMV 720p does not seems to work (tested with Robotica_720 and The_Living_Sea_720.)

I can understand that mixing live video with 2D/3D content on multiple platforms is quite a challenge.

Pascal

Friday, March 9, 2007 8:42 PM

Answers

• Windows Media Audio 9 Professional is most likely the cause for it not working.

Our SDK currently lists the file types we support, but the info doesn't go as deep as supported of WMV flavors.  Look out for more detailed info in the upcoming releases.

Thanks,
    Ed Maia
    WPF/E Program Manager

Monday, March 19, 2007 5:51 PM

All replies

•  

In the Feb CTP, we support 720p video content but currently don’t support WMA Pro audio (5.1 audio) and your video may be encoded with that.   Can you post the video somewhere and I’ll take a look to see if that is the issue?

Joe

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:46 AM
  • The video files are available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

From the Window Media Player Properties:
    Windows Media Audio 9 Professional 384 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit (A/V) 2-pass CBR
    Windows Media Video 9 Professional

Is there any link describing this kind of limitation?

Thanks,
    Pascal

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:26 AM
  • Windows Media Audio 9 Professional is most likely the cause for it not working.

Our SDK currently lists the file types we support, but the info doesn't go as deep as supported of WMV flavors.  Look out for more detailed info in the upcoming releases.

Thanks,
    Ed Maia
    WPF/E Program Manager

Monday, March 19, 2007 5:51 PM