Publish: The "DecryptPassword" task failed unexpectedly. RRS feed

• Question

• Any luck with solving this? I am trying to publish from another machine and I keep getting this error: 

The "DecryptPassword" task failed unexpectedly.

And I know that the connection string is encrypted in the user file, but I don't understand why publish would fail. I'm using the same windows user login to publish from the new machine as well. 

Monday, July 21, 2014 4:38 PM

Answers

• We have an automated checkout/build/publish process for our LightSwitch Desktop (Silverlight) app and we changed the machine we run our builds on which started causing this issue.

Turns out, the publish process needed to be run manually once via VS and the "user connection" needed to be re-entered. After doing this and committing the code, the process began to work again. The encryption mechanism must probably be dependent on the PC in some way.

Thanks for query a separate thread and responding so quickly Dave!

• Marked as answer by JayeshK Monday, July 21, 2014 9:22 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 9:22 PM

All replies

• Did you try re-entering your passwords in the publish wizard on the 2nd machine?

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Monday, July 21, 2014 5:32 PM
  • We have an automated checkout/build/publish process for our LightSwitch Desktop (Silverlight) app and we changed the machine we run our builds on which started causing this issue.

Turns out, the publish process needed to be run manually once via VS and the "user connection" needed to be re-entered. After doing this and committing the code, the process began to work again. The encryption mechanism must probably be dependent on the PC in some way.

Thanks for query a separate thread and responding so quickly Dave!

• Marked as answer by JayeshK Monday, July 21, 2014 9:22 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 9:22 PM