none
Word 2013 Save As File Name Inconsistency RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2013 I am finding an inconsistency with what file name is auto generated in the Save As Dialog. Can anyone point me to a hotfix or upcoming fix for this?

Steps:

Create new blank Word document.

Go to File – Show all Properties

Set “Title” field to “Jennifer”

Go to Save As – Browse

File name set to “Doc1”

Click X out of Browse

Click Browse again

File name set to “Jennifer”

We are trying to set the title so that the file name is prepopulated for the user when they do a save as on one of our documents. Thanks for any help!

-Jennifer

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Jennifer

I cannot locate your thread in Microsoft Answers. Apologies for posting Cindy.

The reason you can't do it  the way you are trying is at below link - that has not changed:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/SetDefFilename.htm

If however you insert the mapped content control Title in the blank FileNew document and type a name and then do a FileSaveAs you will generate the correct file name.

I use a FileSaveAs macro which populates Title after the FileSaveAs has assigned a sequential number.

Kind regards

Janine

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:31 AM
  • Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your former post.

Last time, I wasn't able to reproduce because I went to Properties->Advanced Properties. I can reproduce your scenario if I directly modify the title field.

I'll report this issue internal and you'll be informed if there's any update.

Much appreciate for your time and effort over this issue.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 3, 2013 6:03 AM

All replies

• In Word 2013 I am finding an inconsistency with what file name is auto generated in the Save As Dialog. Can anyone point me to a hotfix or upcoming fix for this?

Steps:

Create new blank Word document.

Go to File – Show all Properties

Set “Title” field to “Jennifer”

Go to Save As – Browse

File name set to “Doc1”

Click X out of Browse

Click Browse again

File name set to “Jennifer”

We are trying to set the title so that the file name is prepopulated for the user when they do a save as on one of our documents. Thanks for any help!

-Jennifer

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi Jennifer

It appears this isn't a question involving programming Word? In that case, the better place to find people with experience in the area you're having problems with (end-user) is on the "Communities". Try asking here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

Unfortunately, we can't move questions from the MSDN forums to the Communities, so you'd need to aks there, again.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:11 AM
  • Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I tried to follow your steps, but I cannot reproduce your scenario.

Since your issue is a non-development issue, I suggest you repost it on Office Answers Forum. The experts there might give you more suggestions or workarounds.

Have a nice day.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:24 AM
  • I'm curiuos if you tried to reproduce with Word 2013? I have 3 machines that I can reproduce the issue on but they are all Word 2013 with Windows 7. I suppose this isn't a question about developing but it is affecting my development as we are trying to develop a Word addin that will save the file with a certain file name and we would like that file name to come from the set "Title" Word property, Word.Document.BuiltInDocumentProperties. I did also post this where you suggested.

Thanks!

-Jennifer

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Hi Jennifer

I cannot locate your thread in Microsoft Answers. Apologies for posting Cindy.

The reason you can't do it  the way you are trying is at below link - that has not changed:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/SetDefFilename.htm

If however you insert the mapped content control Title in the blank FileNew document and type a name and then do a FileSaveAs you will generate the correct file name.

I use a FileSaveAs macro which populates Title after the FileSaveAs has assigned a sequential number.

Kind regards

Janine

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:31 AM
  • Hi Janine,

What do you seem by insert the mapped content control Title in the blank FileNew document? Do you mean to make the first sentence (or first words of the document) the same as the Title field? If this is what you mean we cannot do this as we have a right aligned heading at the top of the document that appears before the title. Here's a link to my post in the community group:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/word-2013-save-as-file-name-inconsistency/8f3fb5d1-b2f8-4eef-b7fa-07d6c6327574

Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your former post.

Last time, I wasn't able to reproduce because I went to Properties->Advanced Properties. I can reproduce your scenario if I directly modify the title field.

I'll report this issue internal and you'll be informed if there's any update.

Much appreciate for your time and effort over this issue.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]

Friday, May 3, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Hi Jennifer,

This issue has been logged in to database for further track.

Thanks again for your time and effort over this issue.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:23 AM