[UWP]How to port Windows Store 8.1 apps to Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have developed few apps in windows store 8.1 and i want to port them to windows 10.

Previously when windows 8.1 has released, In Visual Studio when you open the windows store 8 app code, in the solution we had an option called target to windows store 8.1, then it takes care of everything.

Now how to Port Windows store 8.1 apps to Windows 10 using C# and xaml

Any help or any article on this please?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:30 AM

Answers

• I found a post somewhere with some steps (couldn't find it just now but its out there). 

I did it but got a heap of cryptic errors, that I could not work out. I eventually created a brand new blank app (which I could package ok) and so I painstakingly, by hand, copied over all of my files. I then added them to the blank project, and did a compare (using beyond compare) on the files with same names, and copied over my code. I left the app structure alone as much as I could and eventually I had a running version that I could package. There was an old reference that I had to remove (the old Universal reference) and then it build and I could package it. That was the thing that was causing it to all fail. 

So unfortunately, there is no automagical upgrade. Its hard work (or can be) if you hit any issues. 

Good luck!

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Oh, and I forgot to mention, the Settings Flyout no longer exists. So I had to work out the new design/place to put your settings. I used a SplitView with a hamburger menu button (hand made from a font set that has it) and it works similar to all of the Windows 10 default MS apps 

Wasn't too hard but its a big breaking change in the upgrade. Only major thing I've hit so far but early days.

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Hi Santhosh,

Check this official page about Porting apps to Windows 10: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt238321.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:18 AM

All replies

• I found a post somewhere with some steps (couldn't find it just now but its out there). 

I did it but got a heap of cryptic errors, that I could not work out. I eventually created a brand new blank app (which I could package ok) and so I painstakingly, by hand, copied over all of my files. I then added them to the blank project, and did a compare (using beyond compare) on the files with same names, and copied over my code. I left the app structure alone as much as I could and eventually I had a running version that I could package. There was an old reference that I had to remove (the old Universal reference) and then it build and I could package it. That was the thing that was causing it to all fail. 

So unfortunately, there is no automagical upgrade. Its hard work (or can be) if you hit any issues. 

Good luck!

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Oh, and I forgot to mention, the Settings Flyout no longer exists. So I had to work out the new design/place to put your settings. I used a SplitView with a hamburger menu button (hand made from a font set that has it) and it works similar to all of the Windows 10 default MS apps 

Wasn't too hard but its a big breaking change in the upgrade. Only major thing I've hit so far but early days.

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Hi Santhosh,

Check this official page about Porting apps to Windows 10: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt238321.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:18 AM
  • Thanks everyone for your replies.

Thank you

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:42 AM