none
Win Form Application and Web Service written with .net Framework 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement where desktop (WinForm) application that was written back in 2005 need to be enhanced with additional functionality; however, I am facing following challenges. Please guide 

1) Nobody has touched the application for a decade. And I am not even sure the binaries of same Solution (.SLN file) that is provided to me is the one that is running in production right now. Is there any way to validate it?

2) Now I am working on visual studio 2015 and when I try to browse(right click on project and browse) the web service I am getting following error. Tried couple of stuff to fix it from internet but nothing is working. Is this due to the advance version of visual studio that I am using. Which Visual studio should I use to target .net Framework 2.0 applications?

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory.

3) If I want to upgrade Web Service to WCF application, Can win form application written in .net Framework 2.0 still able to access it? If no do I need to upgrade winform application written in .net Framework 2.0 as well?

4) Is it a good Idea to upgrade the framework to 4.5 and start developing the enhancement or any other technique to start working on this enhancement.

• Edited by Dadha Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:53 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:45 PM

Answers

• 1) No. Even if the source code are the same, the generated binary of .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5 (that includes SP for .NET 2.0) can be different.

You're advised to set up UAT and confirm functionally one by one. If the old bug list is still reclaimable, I'd recommend test the latest fixed bugs first. If the compiled code contains the bug fix, there's high probably the code is latest. If not, then the code does not match the production one for sure.

2) The error message you see is probably because you forgot to copy the "DefaultDocument" in IIS settings.

3) .NET 3.5 (that's in fact .NET 2.0 plus it's SPs and goodies like LINQ, WPF, WCF and WF) can access WCF (as you see in the list of components added on top of .NET 2.0).

4) It's up to you, or more importantly, the timeframe allocated for your work on this project.

• Edited by cheong00Editor Friday, May 18, 2018 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dadha Friday, May 18, 2018 4:33 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:17 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• 1) No. Even if the source code are the same, the generated binary of .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5 (that includes SP for .NET 2.0) can be different.

You're advised to set up UAT and confirm functionally one by one. If the old bug list is still reclaimable, I'd recommend test the latest fixed bugs first. If the compiled code contains the bug fix, there's high probably the code is latest. If not, then the code does not match the production one for sure.

2) The error message you see is probably because you forgot to copy the "DefaultDocument" in IIS settings.

3) .NET 3.5 (that's in fact .NET 2.0 plus it's SPs and goodies like LINQ, WPF, WCF and WF) can access WCF (as you see in the list of components added on top of .NET 2.0).

4) It's up to you, or more importantly, the timeframe allocated for your work on this project.

• Edited by cheong00Editor Friday, May 18, 2018 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dadha Friday, May 18, 2018 4:33 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:17 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 4:33 PM