none
XLSX Cell text direction, 254 ??? RRS feed

• Question

• 18.8.1 alignment (Alignment)

Values 254 and 255 are obviously somethign special.

However none of those was described in the documentation, and at least valye 255 should be.

Also when i craft the table wit h254 value - Excel goes nuts. What does this value mean and how it should behave ?

[MS-OI29500: Microsoft Office Implementation Information for ISO/IEC-29500 Standard Compliance]

18.8.1. alignment (Alignment)

(a)

The standard states that the values of the textRotation attribute are defined by the XML Schema unsignedInt.

Excel restricts the value of this attribute to be in the range 0-180 or 254-255, inclusive.

<x:cellXfs count="4" xmlns:x="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
    <x:xf numFmtId="0" fontId="0" fillId="0" borderId="0" xfId="0" />
    <x:xf numFmtId="0" fontId="0" fillId="0" borderId="0" xfId="0" applyAlignment="1">
    <x:alignment textRotation="255" />
    </x:xf>
    <x:xf numFmtId="0" fontId="0" fillId="0" borderId="0" xfId="0" applyAlignment="1">
    <x:alignment textRotation="254" />
    <x:alignment textRotation="90" />
    </x:cellXfs>

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:36 AM From Open XML SDK; about format implementation
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Arioch,

Thank you for bringing to our attention that for the Excel cell text rotation the documentation has problems in {MS-OI29500] v20121003 “2.1.683 Part 1 Section 18.8.1, alignment (Alignment)” “a.”. The documentation will be corrected in two ways:

1.        It will be deleted that  textRotation can have the value 254.
    2.        It will be added that value 255 is for Vertical Text.

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Arioch

Thank you for your question. A support engineer will be in touch to assist further.

Regards

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Hi Arioch,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi Arioch,

I would like to analyze the file you mentioned in your posting: “i craft the table with 254 value - Excel goes nuts”. Could you post or send the file to me? If you send, please send it to  “dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com”  and indicate that it is for me.

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:17 PM
  • Hi Arioch,

In the absence of your answer I recreated the problem. I created two cells with text. For the orientation of the first cell I chose Vertical Text, for the second one 61 degrees. In the office document editor can be seen that textRotation for the first cell is 255. Change the orientation of the second cell from 61 to 254. Excel for the second cell displays a little tilted down-arrow or something similar, the text itself disappears.

I filed a request that the behavior when textRotation is 255 should be documented. I also filed a request that the case when textRotation is 254 should be investigated from both Excel and documentation point of view.

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Hi Arioch,

Thank you for bringing to our attention that for the Excel cell text rotation the documentation has problems in {MS-OI29500] v20121003 “2.1.683 Part 1 Section 18.8.1, alignment (Alignment)” “a.”. The documentation will be corrected in two ways:

1.        It will be deleted that  textRotation can have the value 254.
    2.        It will be added that value 255 is for Vertical Text.

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi Arioch,

Because there is no respond to this issue since my last posting, I assume the solution is satisfactory and I’ll mark this thread as answered. If you wish to proceed in the future, please post to this thread.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Friday, March 1, 2013 12:16 AM