iPhones/iPods not recognized :/

Question

• just a question, i just installed the developers preview to check out how it is, and most things work pretty well, love the simplistic design but having one main problem im having trouble with and that is with iTunes not recognizing my iPhone, and I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem at all and if its due to the incompatibility of the apple mobile drivers and if anyone found a way to make it work. thanks!  
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:27 AM

Answers

• i had a similar issues.

to resolve it i had to re-start the Apple Mobile Device Support Service. 

• Marked as answer by BomarJr Monday, September 19, 2011 11:50 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:28 AM
  • BomarJr,

Have you tried to install iTunes with Compatibility mode?  If not, give it a try.

1. Right click on iTunesSetup.exe or iTunes64Setup.exe
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on Compatibility tab
    4. Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    5. Select Windows 7
    6. Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level

Please reply this thread with your results.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:09 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hmm, My iPad and iPod are being recognized. I don't have a iPhone so I cant test that. Are any other iDevices recognized or is it only the iPhone?

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:53 AM
  • i had a similar issues.

to resolve it i had to re-start the Apple Mobile Device Support Service. 

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:28 AM
  • ipad and ipod and iphone. I tried to restart Apple Mobile Device Support, but it claims it has not started and the status says its running :/
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:25 PM
  • BomarJr,

Have you tried to install iTunes with Compatibility mode?  If not, give it a try.

1. Right click on iTunesSetup.exe or iTunes64Setup.exe
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on Compatibility tab
    4. Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    5. Select Windows 7
    6. Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level

Please reply this thread with your results.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks all of u! I got it working by reinstalling it with compatibility mode and then restarted the Apple Mobile device support. iTunes picked it up and started syncing!

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:50 PM
  • The solution did resolve issues between the iPhone and iTunes. However, it did not resolve the iPhone driver issue shown in Devices and Printers.
    "iPhone Driver Error".
    I am unable to import pictures and videos using the the import wizard.

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:40 PM
  • ::bump::

I am currently having the same problem as posted by BomarJR and TelAlaska. 

I have tried restarting the apple services and manual driver installation but neither has worked. After reinstallation of iTunes, it sometimes recognizes my iPhone for one use. I believe it is a WDP issue.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hey Robot_deodorant,

When performing the manual driver installation, have you tried using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if that resolves your problem? If not, the compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for the driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:48 PM
  • The ipod worked months without any installation of itunes or any apple software.  It works fine in windows 7 and also Linux but doesnt mount in windows 8.  

~Just a boy and blob in a small town world.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Haven'tried iTunes yet but my iPod Classic was already set for use as a disc and as soon as I plugged it in the usb port WDP8 recognised it and mounted it just as in W7 or XP.

I suppose I ought to load iTunes and test that too, to see whether I can update my media library.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:04 PM
  • ....I suppose I ought to load iTunes and test that too, to see whether I can update my media library...

Just downloaded and installed the latest iTunes to my WDP8 install without using any compatibility options. After installation I plugged in my iPod Classic and it was recognised and installed my purchases into the iTunes library. So far so good.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:30 PM