none
Unable to start the storage emulator RRS feed

• Question

• When I run my azure project in local debugger, it fails to start with the following message:

Windows Azure Tools: Failed to initialize Windows Azure storage emulator. Unable to start the storage emulator.

No other information. So, I can't debug my program.

When I run the Visual Studio as admin, it works. But I would like to run it as non-admin or to get assertion that it is not at all possible.

Visual Studio 2013, Azure tools 2.3 (the latest).

Thank you.

Iakov

Friday, July 4, 2014 5:17 PM

Answers

• I found the following way:

1. assign my non-admin user to the Administrators group;

2. do the Start menu->type "cmd"->right click->Run as admin->enter non-admin password->run "WAStorageEmulator.exe init".

3. unassign user from the Administrators group;

After that the storage emulator works as non-admin.

• Marked as answer by Яков Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:36 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:36 AM

All replies

• When I ran the following command (as admin)

WAStorageEmulator.exe inprocess

I got the following:

Error: Cannot create database 'WAStorageEmulatorDb32' : При установлении соедине
    ния с SQL Server произошла ошибка, связанная с сетью или с определенным экземпля
    ром. Сервер не найден или недоступен. Убедитесь, что имя экземпляра указано прав
    ильно и что на SQL Server разрешены удаленные соединения. (provider: SQL Network
     Interfaces, error: 50 - Произошла ошибка Local Database Runtime.Cannot create a
    n automatic instance. See the Windows Application event log for error details.
    ).

I have Russian Windows.

This is what I have found in the event log:

Cannot access LocalDB instance folder: %%LOCALAPPDATA%%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\<instance name>. (code 261) followed by

LocalDB instance is corrupted. See the Windows Application event log for error details. (code 267).

I have LocalDB installed and it appears to work - at least I can create/list/delete instances.

My LocalDB is

Microsoft (R) SQL Server Express LocalDB Command Line Tool
    Version 11.0.2100.60

Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that you failed to initialize, You need to run initialization as the current user but with elevated privileges. Once the emulator is initialized for the user, you will not need elevated privileges to run the emulator.

To fix this issue, please try to remove the database 'WAStorageEmulatorDb32', please open LocalDb via SSMS. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:09 AM
  • You need to run initialization as the current user but with elevated privileges.

I tried to do that:

Start menu->type "cmd"->right click->Run as admin->enter non-admin password->run "WAStorageEmulator.exe init".

Result:

Error: Cannot reserve port.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:39 AM
  • When I do the same as admin, I get the following:

Error: Cannot create database.

I see the following in the event log:

Cannot access LocalDB instance folder: %%LOCALAPPDATA%%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\<instance name>.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:06 AM
  • I found the following way:

1. assign my non-admin user to the Administrators group;

2. do the Start menu->type "cmd"->right click->Run as admin->enter non-admin password->run "WAStorageEmulator.exe init".

After that the storage emulator works as non-admin.

• Marked as answer by Яков Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:36 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:36 AM
  • im already logged in as administrator, do i need to complete step 3? how?
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 5:46 PM
  • im already logged in as administrator, do i need to complete step 3? how?

If you mean the

it depends on your intentions. I did the 3 because I wanted to work as non-admin. If you wish the same, you can do it.

Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:46 PM
  • I know that this thread is old, but I am unable to use the Azure Storage Emulator without administrator privileges using the method from this thread. Here's what I did:

1. Assign the non-admin user to the administrators group

2. Run "AzureStorageEmulator.exe init" in a command prompt running as administrator (with the previously non-admin user)

3. Un-assign the non-admin user from the administrators group

When I start a new command prompt not running as administrator, the command "AzureStorageEmulator.exe start" fails. Is this method still supposed to work, or is there another way to get Azure Storage Emulator to run without administrator privileges?

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:37 PM