none
How to add different font in wince RRS feed

• Question

• There are only 2 fonts available (Arial and Tahoma).

I want more attractive font to add.

From where I can get those fonts and how to add those to my wince board.

Mrudula

Best Regards, Mrudula Choudhhari
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:17 PM

All replies

• There are other fonts in the catalog.   Just add them to your OSDesign and sysgen.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:31 PM
  • If you do not have the possibility to modify the OS image including the font in the build you can write a small program which calls AddFontResource (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee489896.aspx): the font files may be retrieved (I think) from a PC although I'm not sure if there may be license/legal issues

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hi Luca Calligaris,

Thanks for such nice pointer...

I have tried it and worked. but I need it to be persistent, As i do have persistent registry and persistent file system. 

I am looking for the way so that i did't have to include all the fonts in os image, and can install the font as per the requirement and persist between restarts (don't want to add every time application starts..don't have control).

Thanks

Anant
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:48 AM
  • Have you considered that you could include only the font files you want, and add them via a helper app like Luca suggests, but just have the helper app run at boot-up?  That's not persistent but it would likely be transparent to the user of the system.  Does your system have anything like AutoLaunch available to start a helper app?

Also, regarding licensing... several years ago, all of the info I could find indicated that TrueType fonts (.TTF and .TTC files) from a PC (or the web) that were provided by MSFT could be re-used on a WinCE device without restrictions.  I haven't checked into that recently, though.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Here's a section from the old Windows XP EULA:

6. Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE is
    licensed as a single product. Its component
    parts may not be separated for use on more
    than one computer.

You are not permitted to reuse fonts or any other part of Windows on another machine.

Paul T.

• Proposed as answer by J Marchant Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:17 PM
  • That's a pretty clear answer, thanks, Paul.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Thanks Guys,

Paul: can we use the fonts provided with bsp/platform builder without violating license, by the way disscussed. as I just want to avoid bigger size os image, and still the way to dynamically add the features like fonts according to the users need.

I_hart_software: yes I have the autolaunch similar utility which performs some initialization task this option can work, only will need to add some tracking mechanism. like enumerating fonts files in particular folder and add using the way suggested by luca.

but its better if there is any mechanism exists which does some registry works and install fonts which could persists between restarts. may be willl need to dig down in to AddFontResource. or the way how fonts are included in OS images when we select it form platform builder. 

Thanks again for your time,

Anant
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Platform Builder has a similar restriction on shipping bits and pieces of the operating system separate from the OS. You can't send someone Tahoma.ttf out of the Windows CE folder, for example. That would violate your Platform Builder license. Think of it in the same way as sending some DLL from the Windows CE Pro license to your user of Windows CE Kernel -- illegal. Remember however that I'm not a lawyer.

Paul T.

Friday, November 18, 2011 5:13 PM