DoOnTheFlyTests runs on dev machine but not on test environment (using SpecExplorer.exe command-line tool) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Trying to execute On-The-Fly tests for a model using SpecExplorer.exe using:

SpecExplorer\SpecExplorer.exe /t:DoOnTheFlyTests /l:MBT.TestCases\bin\Debug /a:MBT.Model.dll,MBT.TestCases.dll /s:MBT.Model\DeploymentModel.cord/m:DeploymentModelAllFeaturesReduced

I have prepared a complete folder structure, including SpecExplorer.exe (as specified on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee620414.aspx). Running from this folder works on my local development environment with Visual Studio 2010 and Spec Explorer installed, but when I copy the complete folder to same path on test environment (i.e. no cmd scripts are changed on the way), it gives the following output:

Validating the arguments...

Validating machine "DeploymentModelAllFeaturesReduced"
    Checking scripts...
    Checking script succeeded.
    Exploring machine "DeploymentModelAllFeaturesReduced"
    Exploration job started.
    Running: 0 Passed, 0 Failed, 0 Inconclusive. Elapsed Time: 00:00:00
    ERROR:  fatal execution failure: Switch "TestClassBase" is set to "MBT.TestCases.DeploymentTestSuiteBase", but type MBT.TestCases.DeploymentTestSuiteBase doesn't implement interface Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.Testing.IGeneratedTestClass.
    === remote explorer failure ===
    Switch "TestClassBase" is set to "MBT.TestCases.DeploymentTestSuiteBase", but type MBT.TestCases.DeploymentTestSuiteBase doesn't implement interface Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.Testing.IGeneratedTestClass.
    Exploration job aborted.

Failed to process task 'DoOnTheFlyTests'.

Successfully process task 'DoOnTheFlyTests' for 0 machine(s). Failed to process task 'DoOnTheFlyTests' for 1 machine(s).

The test environment doesn't have Visual Studio 2010 installed, but has .NET 4.0 and mstest.exe (since it has Test Agent installed since it's part of a Microsoft Lab environment). I have previously been able to execute generated tests using mstest.exe on the environment, but would like to run using On-The-Fly execution instead.

Have others seen a similar issue, or has some suggestions for running On-The-Fly tests on a test environment using SpecExplorer.exe command-line tool?

Best regards, Rasmus

Monday, October 10, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• Can you try to add full path of Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.VisualStudio.dll to your command as part of references argument?

SpecExplorer\SpecExplorer.exe /t:DoOnTheFlyTests /l:MBT.TestCases\bin\Debug /a:MBT.Model.dll,MBT.TestCases.dll,[Dir]\Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.VisualStudio.dll /s:MBT.Model\DeploymentModel.cord/m:DeploymentModelAllFeaturesReduced

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:18 AM

All replies

• Can you try to add full path of Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.VisualStudio.dll to your command as part of references argument?

SpecExplorer\SpecExplorer.exe /t:DoOnTheFlyTests /l:MBT.TestCases\bin\Debug /a:MBT.Model.dll,MBT.TestCases.dll,[Dir]\Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.VisualStudio.dll /s:MBT.Model\DeploymentModel.cord/m:DeploymentModelAllFeaturesReduced

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Hi Junfeng Dai,

Thanks for reply. Have tried, but didn't work right away. I'll continue in this direction to see if I find out how to make it work.

Best regards, Rasmus

Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:41 PM