none
Project Server 2013 Workflow failing for farm admin account

Question

• I think this is primarily a SharePoint and Workflow permission/configuration issue and so posting it here. I have two Project Server 2013 farms (Quality and Production). Each farm is connected to a different workflow manager (2013) farm.

1. In the Quality farm (using a farm admin account), when I run a workflow (during Project creation), the project gets created and the the workflow begins and reaches the next stage successfully.

2. In the Production farm (using a farm admin account), when I run a workflow (during Project creation), the project gets created (also the connected SharePoint site gets created). However, the workflow stay on the beginning stage with a status of "The workflow is still processing. Please refresh and try again." Eventually I get a failure message. If I look at the error details on the suspended workflow it says - 

RequestorId: 8a27eb5d-8306-2aaa-0000-000000000000. Details: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the workflow instance. Exception details: System.ApplicationException: HTTP 401 {"X-SharePointHealthScore":["0"],"SPRequestGuid":["8a27eb5d-8306-2aaa-9523-22f7cae00992"],"request-id":["8a27eb5d-8306-2aaa-9523-22f7cae00992"],"X-FRAME-OPTIONS":["SAMEORIGIN"],"Cache-Control":["max-age=0, private"],"Server":["Microsoft-IIS\/8.5"],"WWW-Authenticate":["Negotiate","NTLM"],"X-AspNet-Version":["4.0.30319"],"X-Powered-By":["ASP.NET"],"MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices":["15.0.0.4815"],"X-Content-Type-Options":["nosniff"],"X-MS-InvokeApp":["1; RequireReadOnly"],"Date":["Sat, 14 Jan 2017 03:41:48 GMT"],"Accept-Ranges":["bytes"]} at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation) 

3. In the Production farm (using a non-farm admin account), when I run a workflow (during Project creation), the project gets created (also the connected SharePoint site gets created) PLUS the workflow starts and runs successfully!

Any idea why my Production farm is behaving differently where the workflow is successful only for non-farm admin accounts? And why is my Quality farm allowing a farm admin account to run the workflow without hiccups??

Thanks in advance,
    Jake.

• Edited by jacobUT Saturday, January 14, 2017 5:52 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Jake,

If we use a System Account, the workflow will not function properly or won’t start automatically.

So, you should use non-farm administrators to start the workflow.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Hi Jake- check to see that the admin accounts have permissions to everything the workflow touches, and/or run the workflow with elevated permissions. Definitely check the workflow history list and other applications, like if the workflow sends an email, etc.

cameron rautmann

Monday, January 16, 2017 4:46 PM