azure stack msdn license RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to find information about the development license requirements for Azure Stack. I understand the commercials around the production environment. We are currently deciding our cloud strategy whether to push 100+ dev teams onto Azure and the implied cost of doing so vs Azure Stack for development purposes. I have been reading about usage cases for development and test environments which seem to be very well positioned. Additionally, the "PreInstalled" variant selected vendor would this also mean that existing (recently bought) HPE hardware could be used or are we looking at buying new hardware 

Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

butsona

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 11:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• I found the answers: no 

It would be very good to have MSDN agreement coverage also.

• What are the licensing mechanisms for Azure Stack?

Azure Stack will be available via EA and CSP. If you have an existing EA Azure subscription, you can use that same subscription for your Azure Stack service consumption. Similarly, CSP providers will be able to use the same tenant subscriptions across Azure and Azure Stack for their customers.

• Can I use MSDN, Free Trial, or Biz Spark with Azure Stack?

Azure Stack is available only in the EA and CSP channels. MSDN, Free Trial, and Biz Spark <g class="gr_ gr_24 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="24" id="24">offers</g> cannot be used in conjunction with Azure Stack.

butsona

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:17 PM
  • To clarify, Azure MSDN subscription IDs (i.e., you Azure credits) cannot be used in conjunction with Azure Stack. However, MSDN subscription software (e.g., MSDN Windows Server, MSDN SQL Server) may be used with Azure Stack. In that case, you will be charged on a pay-per-usage basis for base VMs on Azure Stack and then may run MSDN software on top.

I will let the engineering team comment, but I don't think recently purchased HPE hardware will work with Azure Stack. Our hardware partners developed purpose-built systems to run Azure Stack in order to ensure optimal performance and reliability.

• Proposed as answer by jennyxhu Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:43 PM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:42 PM
  • You can use the purchased hardware but not in production as a multinode system. You can dev/test with the single-node Azure Stack PoC.  PoC / Dev Kit:  https://azure.microsoft.com/nl-nl/overview/azure-stack/try/?v=try

Cheers,

Ruud
    Twitter:    Blog: AzureStack.Blog  LinkedIn:    
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:34 AM