Redistributing ActiveSync/WMDC RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a smart device application which uses CEAppMgr to deploy to a Windows Mobile device. If CEAppMgr is not installed on the desktop PC, I would like to automatically install either ActiveSync or WMDC as a prerequisite of my application. Ideally, I would like to place the installers for ActiveSync and WMDC on my web server and redistribute from there. Unfortunately, I am not very clear on the licensing of ActiveSync. Does anyone know if the license terms for ActiveSync/WMDC allow this? Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:17 PM

Answers

• You should consult an attorney on that rather than posting to a technical forum or call support.

My guess would be “no, you cannot”.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• You should consult an attorney on that rather than posting to a technical forum or call support.

My guess would be “no, you cannot”.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:21 AM
  • I was just hoping someone on this forum had a quick answer for me. Thanks for the response. 

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:32 PM
  • It's a serious legal matter, quick answer from some stranger worth exactly nothing and might easily get you in trouble if you act on it blindly. It’s not a line of code somebody else posted which you can just try out.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I think it's reasonable that Microsoft would post some information regarding this. After all, there are purposeful and obvious redistributable versions of a number of other Microsoft products (.NET Framework. Direct X, SQL Server Express/Mobile).

I'd like to request that Microsoft add some clarification to ActiveSync/WMDC distributability in their Mobile Developer Center. We can't be the only 2 people who have this question. And I don't retain an attorney to consult on matters like this, either.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:31 PM
  • Bumping this question as I have been trying to find an answer as well.

Our product is a mobile based, but comes with a supporting Desktop app. That app is distributed by sending out CD's. Is there a problem with including the installers on our disc rather than making people go find the appropriate download?

I have looked around a bit and can't find a clue to the answer anywhere.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:32 PM