none
Access migration to Azure SQL error ' Invalid object name 'sys.server_Principals' RRS feed

Answers

• I am glad I could help a bit 😃

What next?

1. Please don't forget to close the thread by marking the answer.

2. You are welcome to check some threads that other people opened and maybe you can help other people and answer some questions.

3. And obviously, Have a great day .😃

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by JoeSwanson Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:27 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:05 AM

All replies

• Getting error during migration  Invalid object name 'sys.server_Principals'

Good day Joe,

When you work with Azure Database then you do not control the server but only the database level and a logical server. Therefore, The sys.server_Principals is not supported in Azure Database.

You can use the following query on the master database

select * from sys.sql_logins

signature   Ronen Ariely

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Hi Joe

Please convey how or what document you are following for doing this migration. Please share the same for checking this further if the problem persists.

Also here is document on MS Doc which may help you in checking this further:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssma/access/migrating-access-databases-to-sql-server-azure-sql-db-accesstosql?view=sql-server-2017

Thanks
    Navtej S

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:21 PM
  • Hello,

I'm using the "Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access", it will go through the conversion and pops up with the error after it's finished.

I've already referenced the above document.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hello, not sure what you mean by Master Database and where I would insert the command

Thanks

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Hello, not sure what you mean by Master Database and where I would insert the command

Thanks

Are you sure that you do not know what is the "master" database?

DO you have experience with SQL Server?
    Do you know how to create new database using queries (not in the portal but using SSMS)?

It make no sense to to know what is the master database! You must go over the following document before we continue the discussion.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/databases/master-database?view=sql-server-2017

After you understand what is the master database, you can connect the master database and execute the query I gave you in order to get the list of sql logins

signature   Ronen Ariely

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Sorry I am not that familiar with SQL, the limited knowledge I had was from 15 years ago. I have been able to connect to the Azure SQL database and run the query. my username is listed "principal_ID 1" "type: S" ,under credentials say's "NULL"

Does that help?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:33 PM
  • Sorry I am not that familiar with SQL, the limited knowledge I had was from 15 years ago. I have been able to connect to the Azure SQL database and run the query. my username is listed "principal_ID 1" "type: S" ,under credentials say's "NULL"

Does that help?

Hi Joe,

I think that in this case my answer is not relevant to you and we did not understood each other.

> You said that you get error in execute the "sys.server_Principals"

> Therefore, I explain that sys.server_Principals is not supported in Azure SQL Database. It is working on SQL Server on Premises but not on Azure Database.

> I explained that in Azure Database instead of using sys.server_Principals you should use sys.sql_logins

According your last message to me and the response to NavtejSaini-MSFT I now guessing that you are using a tool and you do not execute the query directly. In this case, it seems like you do not do something correctly with the tool since whatever you did a tool for the Azure Database should not try to execute sys.server_Principals on the Azure Database.

----- Starting from different direction🙂 -----
    ---, now that we know you do not execute queries directly but using SSMA----

1. Open "SSMA For Access"

2. In the "Create New Project" make sure that you select Migrate To: Azure SQL Database

My guess is that you selected something else here

Please confirm

signature   Ronen Ariely

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:21 PM
  • you were correct sir, thank you. It was defaulted on "Azure SQL Database managed instance" switched to Azure SQL Database and it went through and is currently uploading. Thanks!
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:37 AM
  • I am glad I could help a bit 😃

What next?

1. Please don't forget to close the thread by marking the answer.

2. You are welcome to check some threads that other people opened and maybe you can help other people and answer some questions.

3. And obviously, Have a great day .😃

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Marked as answer by JoeSwanson Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:27 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:05 AM