413 - Request Entity Too Large RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Azure Search, and we are indexing documents in batches of 1000, as recommended.

But today we got the error "413 - Request Entity Too Large" during indexing.

Our documents are quite small.

What exactly is the limitation we ran into?  How do we handle it the best way?

Regards,
    Vilhelm Heiberg, ExorLive AS

Vilhelm Heiberg, ExorLive AS

Friday, February 6, 2015 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Vilhelm,

The limit is approximately 16 MB per request for every request in the API. How small are your documents? It is unusual to run into this limitation with small documents.

If you like you can e-mail me at bruce DOT johnston AT microsoft and we can investigate further. I'll need your search service name, Azure geo-location (e.g. -- East US, West Europe, etc.), and the date & time of the requests that failed with 413.

Thanks,

-Bruce

• Marked as answer by Vilhelm Monday, February 9, 2015 11:30 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Vilhelm,

The limit is approximately 16 MB per request for every request in the API. How small are your documents? It is unusual to run into this limitation with small documents.

If you like you can e-mail me at bruce DOT johnston AT microsoft and we can investigate further. I'll need your search service name, Azure geo-location (e.g. -- East US, West Europe, etc.), and the date & time of the requests that failed with 413.

Thanks,

-Bruce

• Marked as answer by Vilhelm Monday, February 9, 2015 11:30 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 5:26 PM
  • Thank you . That makes sense. It turned out my documents were larger than I first thought.

Vilhelm Heiberg, ExorLive AS

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:31 AM
  • Very interesting, so if I'm using Postman to POST a large JSON file ( around 28MG) then it can't be done right?

I got a 413 request entity too large

Time: 1486ms

Size: 273B

Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:10 AM
  • Also, how do I create an index for this type of nested JSON were "coord" is nested object????

{
                "id": 519188,
                "city": "Novinki",
                "country": "RU",
                "coord": {
                    "lon": 37.666668,
                    "lat": 55.683334
                }
            }

Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:27 AM
  • Found that this can be a Edm.ComplexType

thanks. Great documentation Microsoft!