How to Load an Office App into a Localhost RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a beginner in Office Apps and web server. I trying to learn to develop Office Apps. My intention is to host the app on IIS. How can I do that. Step by step kind of answer is appreciated.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:04 PM

Answers

• Whenever you create an Office Addin from within Visual Studio and click on debug it will automatically host the addin on IIS express on localhost, and it will push an addin manifest to Excel with a reference to this localhost address. If you want to not only debug the addin but also deploy the addin to localhost you can simply host your web project in visual studio on localhost, and manually edit your manifest XML to point to localhost rather than ~AppUrl (which Visual Studio will normally change to the correct URL on deployment).
    Friday, December 18, 2015 9:49 AM

All replies

• I'd suggest asking Office App specific questions on the Developing Apps for Office 2013  forum instead.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Hi TemboN,

The basic components of an Office Add-in are an XML manifest file and the default webpage of your add-in. The manifest defines various settings including the URL of the webpage that implements the add-in's UI and custom logic. When your add-in is ready for your customers, you upload your add-in's manifest to an on-premises add-in catalog or submit it to the Office Store. The webpage (and any .js or other files required by its implementation) needs to be hosted on a web server, or web hosting service, such as Microsoft Azure.

You can get more detail about Office add-ins from link below:
    Office Add-ins platform overview

And here are some helpful articles for you get started developing first Office add-in:
    Create an Office add-in using any editor

Build your first Excel add-in

Task pane and content add-ins for Office 2013

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to develop office add-in for a personal project.

The step that I'm stuck is how to deploy the add-in (Html and Javascript files) into a local server in the development computer. My computer has IIS 10 express installed. My purpose is not to deploy this add-in into any other server since it is not for public consumption, just my personal project and that's why I installed IIS on my development computer.

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:21 AM
  • Whenever you create an Office Addin from within Visual Studio and click on debug it will automatically host the addin on IIS express on localhost, and it will push an addin manifest to Excel with a reference to this localhost address. If you want to not only debug the addin but also deploy the addin to localhost you can simply host your web project in visual studio on localhost, and manually edit your manifest XML to point to localhost rather than ~AppUrl (which Visual Studio will normally change to the correct URL on deployment).
    Friday, December 18, 2015 9:49 AM