Prevent users from abusing public downloads RRS feed

• Question

• User1554278446 posted

I'm running IIS 8 and I host a website with a few terabytes of public content for download, which is fine, but whenever I start the server somebody immediately connects to it and will constantly download all the files. The problem is that the servers been down for nearly a year and nobody should know of its existence. But the seconds I start the server, the "System" PID 4 process will consistently upload at about 5 mbps. Here's everything I know so far.

- It only happens when IIS is started. If I disable the problem site, it continues, so I'm guessing the user is still able to access these files somehow.

- It's a different IP almost every time I restart the server. Of course, usually just some place in China.

- I've done many virus scans with 2 or 3 different programs and while it found a few things, they've been removed and the problem persists. Seeing as it only happens on port 80 with IIS running it makes me think it's a security issue.

I considered adding a captcha but if I could avoid it that would be amazing. The whole point of this site is to allow easy seamless downloads without captchas. If I do this then I would need to disable hotlinking I suppose and I don't know how to do that either. If you guys can think of anything else I can do to combat this, please let me know. Thanks

Friday, July 8, 2016 4:43 AM

Answers

• User690216013 posted

There are commercial products in China which assists their users to download software much faster, which probably hooks to search bots that crunch your site. 

As a pure public downloading site you cannot prevent such data flows. So if you are really servicing only the users you care, check their sessions (at least ask the users to be freely registered).

It is not a question for IIS though, if you use any other web server platforms (nginx/Apache) you will see the same issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 6:57 AM

All replies

• User690216013 posted

There are commercial products in China which assists their users to download software much faster, which probably hooks to search bots that crunch your site. 

As a pure public downloading site you cannot prevent such data flows. So if you are really servicing only the users you care, check their sessions (at least ask the users to be freely registered).

It is not a question for IIS though, if you use any other web server platforms (nginx/Apache) you will see the same issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 6:57 AM
  • User1554278446 posted

Thank you, I suppose my next step will be looking into blocking users in China or other countries if needed.

Saturday, July 9, 2016 3:45 AM
  • User2084294675 posted

Hello,

I have the public pdfs outside of the web.

When a users wants to download a pdf, he has to fill out a form. Then he receives an email with password code and he can download all PDFs he wants ( copy the PDFs from outside the web into his browser with Classic ASP and I use Sessions ... works fine.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:28 PM