none
32 bit app and new 64 bit sql server database(formerly 32 bit database) connectivity

Question

• I have a 32 bit VB 6 app that connects to a SQL Server 2005 database (created on a 32 bit machine) that has been running fine for years on clients 64 bit servers using the DSN created with the syswow64 folder and odbcad32.exe file. 

My question is this:  I am rewriting the database in SQL Server 2014 on a 64 bit machine and am wondering if the same DSN created above will work for the SQL Server 2014 database connecting to the 32 bit VB 6 app?  I am not a server expert by any means and wondered if the SQL Server 2014 database would have a problem connecting for clients.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:52 PM

All replies

• If its a 32 bit application and 32 bit DSN you created it should still work. I hope driver you installed is compatible with SQL 2014 otherwise you've to get compatible version installed

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:58 PM
  • A DSN is defined on the client system, and a client system's bitwidth (or even endianness) is totally irrelevant to the server it connects to.  Servers like MS SQL (running on a remote host) implement their own data protocols, so the only thing you'd have to worry about is whether your version of Windows can create a DSN that's compatible with the protocol used by whatever version of MS SQL you're connecting to.

Stuff like SQL Server is usually kept backward compatible, so unless that old protocol had some massive security flaw and that flaw wasn't discovered/patched out while your old system was still getting updates I can't think of any reason  why it wouldn't work.

In the end though, unless somebody with hands-on experience with that exact issue chimes in, you'll just have to try it and see.

It never hurts to try. In the worst-case scenario, you'll learn something.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Thanks so much for the response.  This is a terminal services situation so the 32 bit VB 6 app and database are installed on the clients server and they then create the system DSN from the syswow64 folder (odbcad32.exe file).

Sorry for my ignorance but when you speak about "driver you installed is compatible with SQL 2014" are you referring to a driver within my VB 6 app, a driver in the SQL 2014 database, or a driver on the clients server? 

Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:24 PM
  • Sorry for my ignorance but when you speak about "driver you installed is compatible with SQL 2014" are you referring to a driver within my VB 6 app, a driver in the SQL 2014 database, or a driver on the clients server? 

The driver that your application uses.

For modern applications written in .NET or C++, we recommend people to use the latest drivers, so that they don't lose out on new functionality in SQL Server. However, I assume that your VB6 app uses old ADO which has not been touched for soon twenty years, and is not able to understand new data types, so you are better off using what you are using today and which ships with the operating system.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:01 PM