web config file is inaccessible error RRS feed

• Question

• User283528319 posted

Hi all,

This morning something strange happened.

I got "web config file is inaccessible error" and now my published net core 2 project does not work in the server.

Do you have any idea what can cause this?

Friday, August 28, 2020 8:09 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

This morning something strange happened.

I got "web config file is inaccessible error" and now my published net core 2 project does not work in the server.

Do you have any idea what can cause this?

Are you receiving a 500.19 error?  Keep in mind, it is always helpful to provide the actual error when asking for support.    Are you sure nothing changed?   

We see errors like this when application pool identity does not have access to the web.config.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/manage/configuring-security/application-pool-identities

Friday, August 28, 2020 10:16 AM
  • User283528319 posted

yes I got 500.19 error

Friday, August 28, 2020 10:31 AM
  • User475983607 posted

yes I got 500.19 error

Error like this do not magically happen.  Something changed.  The first step is making sure the application pool identity is granted read access to the application folder.  See the previous link for instructions.

I've seen this error with Blazor applications.  Blazor uses URL rewriting.  The server needs the URL rewrite module installed.  

Lastly, try going through the ASP.NET Core troubleshooting guide.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/test/troubleshoot-azure-iis?view=aspnetcore-3.1#troubleshoot-on-iis.  Be sure to check the event viewer for errors.

Friday, August 28, 2020 11:51 AM
  • User283528319 posted

that morning the server was closed down (The computer I meant). (Don't know what happened)

I turned it on.

It was working.

Then suddenly users called ant told it was not working.

Friday, August 28, 2020 12:12 PM