none
.NET Shadow Copy Assembly Cache not being created RRS feed

• Question

• Apologies in advance - I'm not a developer.

I'm having an issue with a third-party web-based application that uses .NET and Silverlight.  I don't know if it's formally  .NET v2 or .NET v3.5 that it uses but we're using Windows 7 SP1 with .NET v3.5.1 installed.  We have a group of PCs where a control does not appear on a page in the app.  From what I can tell, these are connected with DLLs which are stored in "C:\windows\Downloaded Program Files" and should be being copied to the per-profile shadow copy assembly cache.  On working machines, this cache is created ("c:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\assembly\dl3") correctly and populated with the DLLs.  On faulty PCs, the assembly folder is not being created.

I've discovered that the PCs where it doesn't work have .NET v4.5 installed.  Those that do work have v4.0.  If I remove v4.5, it then works.  If I then add v4.0 it still works.  If I then add v4.5 it breaks again.

Is the fault likely to be with .NET or with the app?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Cantoris,

Could you please post some code so that we could know what happened? I assume this issue was caused by the access of the directory. Did you try to change a directory to save your shadow copy assembly? I have some code for you to try:

var domainInfo = new AppDomainSetup

{

CachePath = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.CachePath

};

If possible and exists, please post some error message about this issue.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:26 AM
  • Hi.  Thanks for replying.

I'm not a developer and it's a third-party app.  We've not changed it in anyway.  It makes the shadow folder correctly (in its usual place) unless .NET v4.5 is installed.

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi Cantoris,

The third-party app is not support. Please search on internet and redirect to their forum to post a question. Thank you for your understanding.

By the way, please carefully review the instructions for use of third party software, to see whether it supports framework 4.5.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

I thought .NET v4.x was entirely independent of .NET v2.0/v3.x and an app coded for one should not be affected by changes to the other?  Is that not correct?

Thanks.

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:08 PM
  • Hi Cantoris,

>I thought .NET v4.x was entirely independent of .NET v2.0/v3.x and an app coded for one should not be affected by changes to the other? 

Some of the foundation functions are finalized in the mature version (V2.0). The later version are based on the increase. Such as Framework 3.0 add WCF, WPF, WWF and Windows CardSpace.

See the changes in Framework 3.5 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332048(v=vs.90).aspx

See the changes in Framework 4.0 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms171868(v=vs.100).aspx

See the changes in Framework 4.5 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171868.aspx

You certainly have noticed that, in fact, every version update will add new content and update the previous content. So I don’t think NET v4.x was entirely independent of .NET v2.0/v3.x.

You could open C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder, and you could find the version number of each appropriate folder, although only installed VS2012.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Apparently the cause is this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh367887.aspx#web

("Managed browser hosting controls from the .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0")

• Marked as answer by Cantoris Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:27 AM