How to get a Barcode Reader SDK RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Readers i have developed Management and Information System for a School SIMS. where in library module i've to used barcode reader while issueing a book to retrieve info about the book. So far i've not been able to find out any particular thing on it over internet.Please guide me to find a SDK(Software Development Kit) (Free) Which can itself guide me to the solution of my software.
    Thank You
    Hamad Salahuddin
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:47 AM

Answers

• Few barcode readers have or require an SDK.  They just simulate a user typing in the code by generating Windows keystroke messages.  You just need to make sure that the right TextBox has the focus.  Get ahead with this project by purchasing the reader so you can try it yourself.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Friday, October 16, 2009 1:57 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

As the others have posted, most USB barcode readers act like keyboards and need no drivers. However, if you don't want to manage focus in your application, need to know if the barcode was keyed or scanned, or if you want to support more than just USB connected scanners (serial, usb, bluetooth etc) then you might want to check out MS Pos .Net (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms828083(WinEmbedded.10).aspx).

Pos .Net is a .Net implementation of the UPOS standard for managing retail peripherals including barcode scanners. It allows you to integrate to a variety of barcode scanners, but it does require a 'middleware' driver (either a Pos .Net driver or an OPOS driver). OPOS drivers are quite common and most manufacturers provide one with their devices or for download from their website. Failing that, there is a Microsoft sample driver for barcode scanners, and you could possible use or modify that and use it with *most* barcode scanners.

There is a forum for Pos .Net specific questions at; http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/posfordotnet/threads
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:38 PM

All replies

• Pretty much depends on the barcode scanner you are using the only standard is that most of them can emulate a keyboard in which case you do not need an sdk, if you want more control talk to/check the manufactorer for an sdk for their specific models.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I want to use 2D Barcode Reader. Where i can have its SDK from?
    Hamad Salahuddin
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Few barcode readers have or require an SDK.  They just simulate a user typing in the code by generating Windows keystroke messages.  You just need to make sure that the right TextBox has the focus.  Get ahead with this project by purchasing the reader so you can try it yourself.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

As the others have posted, most USB barcode readers act like keyboards and need no drivers. However, if you don't want to manage focus in your application, need to know if the barcode was keyed or scanned, or if you want to support more than just USB connected scanners (serial, usb, bluetooth etc) then you might want to check out MS Pos .Net (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms828083(WinEmbedded.10).aspx).

Pos .Net is a .Net implementation of the UPOS standard for managing retail peripherals including barcode scanners. It allows you to integrate to a variety of barcode scanners, but it does require a 'middleware' driver (either a Pos .Net driver or an OPOS driver). OPOS drivers are quite common and most manufacturers provide one with their devices or for download from their website. Failing that, there is a Microsoft sample driver for barcode scanners, and you could possible use or modify that and use it with *most* barcode scanners.

There is a forum for Pos .Net specific questions at; http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/posfordotnet/threads
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:38 PM