none
SQL Express 2008 R2 / WES7 / OOBE generalize question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems generalizing a WES7 64 bit image that includes SQL Express 2008 R2. I am new to the embedded game so it is likely that I am going about this the wrong way - I'd appreciate a kick in the right direction. Here's my problem.

I build the image on the target machine based on an answer file I created in Image Configuration Editor. When the target machine boots up, I give it a name (e.g. \\DEVELOP). I then install SQL Express 200R2 from the setup kit I downloaded from the Microsoft web site. This means that SQL was installed on the machine whilst it was called \\DEVELOP

I then run SYSPREP/OOBE/Generalize so that I can clone the image out to my production machines. When the production machine goes through its first time boot, it asks me to give the machine a name - which of course will be different to \\DEVELOP. For this example, let's call it \\PRODUCTION

My problem is that the generalize procedure does not migrate all the SQL settings to point to \\PRODUCTION. When I look through the registry, I can still see lots of references to the machine called \\DEVELOP. As such, my application software (that uses SQL as its database) fails as it is still pointing to the \\DEVELOP machine name. 

Here's my question - am I doing something wrong? I want to be able to produce a cloneable image with preinstalled software including SQL Express 2008 R2, run SYSPREP/OOBE/Generalize and have that image work OK when the production machine is given a name by the end user when they deploy it in their environment.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:41 AM

All replies

• To avoid providing another computer name, you should use an sysprep unattended file. The unattended file should answer the OOBE screens that popup like user accounts, time zone, language, etc.

There should be management tools for SQL that allow you to change the computer name associated with the database. I am not a SQL expert, but someone in the SQL forums might be able to answer.

Another approach is to use the same unattended file to call for the installation of SQL on each clone as they boot up. I don't know if that will work for your situation.

FYI - there is a book for WES7 - http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html that explains the unattended file.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Sean

It is a requirement for our end customers to change the machine name on first boot. We deploy these units into corporate environments where they may have several hundred units on the same network - and IT departments insist on naming them according to their own corporate conventions. As such, the SQL issue is a problem for me as I intend to produce a cloneable image that already has the OS, SQL and our application software pre-installed - but then rename the machine on first boot. I'll take a look around for SQL configuration information as you suggested.

If anyone knows more about the SQL question I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Oh, and I've just ordered a copy of the book you referred to so I can hopefully stop fumbling around in the dark :o)

Friday, July 5, 2013 7:56 AM
  • In the unattended file, you can allow the end customer to set the computer name since that is what OOBE is for. A sync command could the call the SQL setup. I would ask the SQL forum:

1. How to automatically install SQL with predefind answers to the install wizard?

2. How to adjust the database when the is a computer name change.

There is a how bunch of forums for SQL Server:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=sqlserver

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, July 5, 2013 5:01 PM