none
How to prevent StandardCollector.Service to wake up my secondary HD ?

Question

• Hello,

every time a debug session is over, StandardCollector.Service accesses my sleeping secondary HD and wakes it up (I checked with Process Monitor).

I unchecked "Enable Diagnostic Tools while debugging" in Debug -> Options -> General (which turned off the cpu/ram usage window), but it didn't help. I had to set the "Visual Studio Standard Collector Service" to "Disabled" to remove this behavior. Stopping it while having it to "Manual" would make it restart at each debug session launch.

Is there any clean way to turn that behavior off, while possibly keeping the option on ? There's no reason for this thing to keep hitting my sleeping HD... :-/

Thanks in advance for any help !

My config :

======================================

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01586

Installed Version: Community

Visual Basic 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA025
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015

Visual C# 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA025
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015

Visual C++ 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA025
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package   7.10.01020.1
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

CodeMaid   10.1.93
    CodeMaid is an open source Visual Studio extension to cleanup and simplify our C#, C++, F#, VB, PHP, PowerShell, R, JSON, XAML, XML, ASP, HTML, CSS, LESS, SCSS, JavaScript and TypeScript coding.

Common Azure Tools   1.8
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

JavaScript Language Service   2.0
    JavaScript Language Service

JavaScript Project System   2.0
    JavaScript Project System

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools   1.4
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

NuGet Package Manager   3.4.4
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

NumberedBookmarks   1.2
    This package provides you the possibility to toogle numbered bookmarks, using shortcuts (ctrl-shit-1, ctrl-shift-2, ... ctrl-shift-0) to place a bookmark and (ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ctrl-3,...ctrl-0) to jump to a specific bookmark

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer   1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

Python Tools for Visual Studio   2.2.31124.00
    Python Tools for Visual Studio provides IntelliSense, projects, templates, Interactive windows, and other support for Python developers.

Python Tools for Visual Studio - Django Integration   2.2.31124.00
    Provides templates and integration for the Django web framework.

Python Tools for Visual Studio - Profiling Support   2.2.31124.00
    Profiling support for Python projects.

TypeScript   1.8.36.0
    TypeScript tools for Visual Studio

Visual Assist   
    For more information about Visual Assist, see the Whole Tomato Software website at http://www.WholeTomato.com. Copyright (c) 1997-2016 Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Visual Studio Tools for Unity   2.3.0.0
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity

======================================

• Edited by ManuTOO Wednesday, November 02, 2016 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 10:11 AM

Answers

• The spin up issue escalated to a point it occurred nearly every monitor awakening, and after a search I found this topic http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/14464-processes-causing-high-cpu-use-windows-10-a.html where a guy said "Go to: Settings->Privacy->Background Apps and turn all that nasty crap off."

I also turned everything else I could in these Privacy settings and now the HDDs spin up once when finishing to debug my program in Visual Studio 2015, and then don't do it again for a long while, instead of spinning up on every ending.

So now, it's still not perfect, but at least it's acceptable.

Note: I never install any App, so it was only the default ones coming with Win10 in there... >_<

Little disclaimer : I hadn't tested that since a very long time, so maybe it actually Windows which added a caching system to avoid too much HDD spins up in that particular case.

• Marked as answer by ManuTOO Monday, February 26, 2018 4:34 PM
    • Edited by ManuTOO Monday, February 26, 2018 4:59 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi ManuTOO,

According to your description, please share me what is the meaning of secondary HD, does it mean computer screen? And according to your below description, “StandardCollector.Service” has impact your machine that could wake up your screen when you debug your project, am I right?

But as far as I know, we could not disable the StandardCollector.Service during the debug. This service collects real time ETW events and processes them.

You could try to disable them from service, and disable "Visual Studio Stand Collector Service" and "Microsoft (R) Diagnostics Hub Standard Collector Service". Then debug your project again.

If above steps do not work for you,please share me detailed steps to repro your issue in my side. If I could repro your issue in my side, I will help you submit a feed back to User Voice.  Microsoft engineers will evaluate it seriously.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 03, 2016 8:23 AM
  • Hello Oscar,

HD = Hard Drive (sorry, I thought it was a standard acronym).

Yes, as stated in my initial message, I already disabled the associated service with Services.msc , but I'd like to keep using the Collector (it can be useful to track CPU & RAM usages) without it accessing my secondary drive.

Try this to repro :

• get a 2nd Hard Drive in your PC, without using it for anything (preferably not a SSD, see why below) ; be sure Windows doesn't start to use it for the swap file, or something else like this
    • set this HD to sleep after 2 minutes
    • wait at least 2 minutes so the HD will sleep
    • debug anything
    • stop the debug session, and hear your HD spinning on (thus the need for a HD and not a SSD ;) )
    • alternatively, track the files opened on that 2nd HD with Process Monitor and a filter path set to your drive letter (eg: "D:\")

Thanks for your help !

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I have another HD in my PC which is not touched and thus doesn't wake up.

Exactly, I have :

SSD C: G: - Always on (Disk 2 - System, Boot)

SSD D: E: - Always on (Disk 3)

HD F: - sleeping, touched on debug session end (Disk 0)

HD H: - always sleeping (Disk 4)

Disk # = number given by diskmgmt.msc

• Edited by ManuTOO Monday, November 07, 2016 8:14 AM
    Sunday, November 06, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Hi ManuTOO,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Hello Oscar,

thanks for checking into this !

I forgot to mention one thing : it's with a C++ project, if that matters.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Hi ManuTOO,

What process is access the HD and which file is accessed when the HD is wake up?

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hello EddieCh,

here's a screenshot of Process Monitor with "F:" filter activated :

SvcHost does stuff after StandardCollector.Service, but I guess it's usual business for Windows to check the HD on awakening. And this is not happening if I disable StandardCollector.Service in Services.msc .

Here's the one from Resource Monitor :

Note: PIDs don't match because I thought about ResMon after have done the 1st pic... :)

And this to show that my TEMP folders aren't on F:

• Edited by ManuTOO Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:57 AM Typo
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:56 AM
  • Here's the stack for the 1st event in Process Monitor :

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:50 PM
  • The spin up issue escalated to a point it occurred nearly every monitor awakening, and after a search I found this topic http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/14464-processes-causing-high-cpu-use-windows-10-a.html where a guy said "Go to: Settings->Privacy->Background Apps and turn all that nasty crap off."

I also turned everything else I could in these Privacy settings and now the HDDs spin up once when finishing to debug my program in Visual Studio 2015, and then don't do it again for a long while, instead of spinning up on every ending.

So now, it's still not perfect, but at least it's acceptable.

Note: I never install any App, so it was only the default ones coming with Win10 in there... >_<

Little disclaimer : I hadn't tested that since a very long time, so maybe it actually Windows which added a caching system to avoid too much HDD spins up in that particular case.

• Marked as answer by ManuTOO Monday, February 26, 2018 4:34 PM
    • Edited by ManuTOO Monday, February 26, 2018 4:59 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 4:34 PM