none
What kind of variable type should I use to get the virtual address given by WDF? RRS feed

• Question

• typedef struct _DEVICE_CONTEXT
    {
    	WDFDEVICE                       Device;
    	PVOID				MemBaseAddress;
    	ULONG				MemLength;
    } DEVICE_CONTEXT, *PDEVICE_CONTEXT;

pDeviceContext->MemBaseAddress = MmMapIoSpace(
    				descriptor->u.Memory.Start,
    				descriptor->u.Memory.Length,
    				MmNonCached);
    pDeviceContext->MemLength = descriptor->u.Memory.Length;

I defined a structure including MemBaseAddress with type PVOID,because MmMapIoSpace() returns a PVOID value.

In my IO callbacks,I need to add an offset address(0x20000) to the MemBaseAddress.

So what kind of variable type should I use to get the virtual address given by WDF?

In other words,in following sentences,which one do I need to choose?(My PC OS is Windows 32bits )

PUCHAR      pRAM;//??? 
    PVOID       pRAM;//??? 
    PUSHORT     pRAM;//??? 
    PULONG      pRAM;//??? 
    pRAM = pDeviceContext->MemBaseAddress; 
    pRAM += 0x20000;

Do I need to use PULONG?

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need to think about how you are going to reference the data.  Is this offset in memory a structure, an array of one of the base types (UCHAR, USHORT, ULONG, etc.) or what?   Assume it is some type you define as MYTYPE then the calculation becomes:

MTYPE *pRAM;

pRAM = (MYTYPE *)(((PUCHAR) pDeviceContext->MemBaseAddress) + 0x20000);

The only reason to have PUCHAR in there is so that 0x20000 which one presumes is a byte offset is properly added to the MemBaseAddress.   Just change MTYPE to whatever type of reference you need for your device.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:00 AM
  • WDF provides a utility function that does the addition for you, see WDF_PTR_ADD_OFFSET https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff543092(v=vs.85).aspx. you can then use whatever type you like, so for instance PFOO pf = (PFOO) WDF_PTR_ADD_OFFSET(pDeviceContext->MemBaseAddress, 0x20000);

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:42 PM
  • Thanks Burn.
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:25 AM
  • Thanks Holan
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:25 AM