animation to zoom in and out of canvas RRS feed

• Question

• How can I zoom in and out on my canvas in an animation?

This URL has a video on it that is advertising Expression Blend. In the video they zoom in and out of the canvas and provide a nice effect:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/overview.aspx?key=blend

The specific portions of the video I'm referring to is at time index 00:16 (zoom out effect) and time index 00:33 (zoom in effect).

Other time indexes this effect occurs where it is less elaborate:
    00:45
    00:49

Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Howdy,

I am sorry I have not watched the video, but to create a zoom type effect, you can select the parent element in your scene (say a Grid that everything else is sitting in), then go to the Transform category in the Properties panel and modify the X and Y scale (make sure you select the SCALE tab) values between your key frames of your animation.

HTH

Cheers
    Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:15 AM
  • I did think of doing that but the problem I run into is the objects on the canvas don't size with it. I would like everything to scale proportionately.

I would also like to be able to manipulate the canvas in the same way I can a an image that i have done "Tools", "Make Image 3D" on.

Do you know how one or both can be done?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Howdy,

You can stick your canvas inside a Viewbox which should automatically scale all the child items inside it when you scale it.

As for the second part, you need to look into using 2D on 3D which will allow you to place 2D controls into a 3D scene:

http://blogs.msdn.com/wpf3d/archive/2006/12/12/interacting-with-2d-on-3d-in-wpf.aspx

Cheers
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:24 PM
  • The Viewbox only allows one child element. I did find a solution to my scale problem though. Through some trial and error yesterday I found that the Grid control can contain multiple child elements and will scale them all porportionately.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Howdy,

Sorry about assuming you knew abut single child... you can still add the canvas as the child and add to it as well.. infact, when you export designs from AI or expression design, depending on the complexity of your design, most times paths are added to canvas elements which are then added as the child of a viewbox to allow you to scale the designs etc.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:47 AM