Installing .Net 3.5.1 for Windows Developer Preview

Question

• i downloaded the full package of .net 3.5.1 for my win8 then when im opening the program it still ask to connect to windows update and download it. what should i do? is there a way to run it without downloading it again through windows update? thanks.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:14 AM

Answers

All replies

•  is there a way to run it without downloading it again through windows update?

yes, mount the Windows 8 Developer Preview ISO or insert the DVD if you burned a DVD from the Windows 8 Developer Preview ISO and open a CMD prompt with admin rights [1] and run this:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

(replace D with your DVD/ISO mount drive). This installs .net 3.5.1 without internet access.

I already posted this here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/670dd964-11cf-4006-96ee-1bf2e16e9979

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:12 PM
  • i kinda have a problem with that, coz i renamed the file, do i have to rename the file back again to its original name?
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:05 PM
  • which file have you renamed?

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:40 PM
  • the net. 3.5 sp1's file name..
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:54 PM
  • ignore the downloaded file. Run the command I told you.

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:06 PM
  • just curious, coz i installed my win8 through my usb, coz my dvd is broken, can i just use my usb instead?
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:11 PM
  • yes, plugin the USB drive and run the command.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:33 PM
  • I have tried the command but it gives and error

"Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the /source option to specify the location of the files that are required to
     restore the feature. The file location should be either the root directory of a
     mounted image or a component store that has the Windows Side-by-Side directory
    as an immediate subfolder."

please help me to resolve this...

Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Have you mounted the downloaded Windows Developer Preview ISO into a virtual DVD drive?

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:01 AM