Bluetooth App to Device RRS feed

All replies

• You can only run published apps without developer unlocking a phone. In that case, you can't debug using VS.

The only way to debug an app using VS is to get it dev unlocked, whatever be the versions of OS & SDK.

ThanQ...

• Proposed as answer by sm_on_live Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Did not understand you, sorry
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:05 PM
  • You asked, "... is it possible the app to be started without unlocking the phone ...". So I answered no.

OK, for your question there is another meaning, which I didn't consider earlier. The answer is, "Yes, you can run a background thread of your app even if the phone is not unlocked". The meaning of 'background' running is just that.

But background threads of 3rd party apps will not be running continuously. So they are not meant for BT access. I suppose the app must be running in foreground.

ThanQ...

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:33 PM
  • It is not possible to start an app in the background without user interaction. The only way to launch an app is the user to do it.

Once launched, it is possible to run some kind of apps in the background, as stated here:

Running location-tracking apps in the background for Windows Phone 8

However, this is restricted to apps using location tracking, and not all APIs are allowed there. To see the allowed features:

Features that can be used while running in the background for Windows Phone 8

It seems that it is possible to have a bluetooth connection in an application that is running in background.

However, if your goal is the app to be launched when it detects a bluetooth connection, that's not possible.

• Proposed as answer by sm_on_live Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:50 AM