none
add-in Office 2010 compatible with Office 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

I hope you can help me. I developed a Add-in for Excel Office 2010 (using Visual Studio 2012). This button is showed in Insert tab and work correctly.

Now I have copied the project in order to have a new one for Office 2007. I've created a virtual  machine where I've installed Office 2007 and Visual Studio 2012 again. 

I changed the references in order to referencing interops 12 version but I cannot get to show the addin button. I can see it but in another tab called 'Complementos'.

If I debug the code it throws an exception in addin.Connect "The add-in could not be installed"

OfficeCore.COMAddin addin = excelapp.COMAddIns.Item(ref myribbon);
    addin.Connect = true;

I've checked that it appears correctly in regedit.

Has someone any idea?

Thanks so much!

(sorry for my english)

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:46 AM

Answers

• Hi SScom

I'm afraid you won't be able to create a VSTO add-in for Office 2007 using VS 2012. VS 2012 only supports creating solutions for Office 2010 and Office 2013.

Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 provided template projects for Office 2007 (and 2003 resp. 2010). As a rule, VSTO supports at most two Office versions (the newest and the previous ones).

If you can't obtain the older versions of Visual Studio you may need to use a third-party software such as Add-in Express in order to create add-ins that run in Office 2007.

Please also note that you should always create an Office project using the oldest version you intend to support. Moving software forwards will usually work as Microsoft Office supports backwards compatibility. Moving backwards, however, is not supported.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi SScom

I'm afraid you won't be able to create a VSTO add-in for Office 2007 using VS 2012. VS 2012 only supports creating solutions for Office 2010 and Office 2013.

Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 provided template projects for Office 2007 (and 2003 resp. 2010). As a rule, VSTO supports at most two Office versions (the newest and the previous ones).

If you can't obtain the older versions of Visual Studio you may need to use a third-party software such as Add-in Express in order to create add-ins that run in Office 2007.

Please also note that you should always create an Office project using the oldest version you intend to support. Moving software forwards will usually work as Microsoft Office supports backwards compatibility. Moving backwards, however, is not supported.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Sorry for the delay. Thanks so much for the information!

I suppose I'll have more questions when I try it... 

Have a nice day!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:36 AM